Q. What is the best treatment option for balanitis?

Dr. Rashmi Singh
Published on Mar 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 13, 2019

I am a 32 year old diabetic male. For the last two weeks, I am suffering from balanitis. I think this is because of my high blood sugar level. I have difficulty in pulling the foreskin of my penis as it is very tight. There are small, white and red rashes present on the glans. Because of this, there are small cuts on the foreskin and it is very painful. I took Azax 500 and Metronidazole oral tablets as suggested by the doctor. I am applying Candid B cream for the last four to five days but have not got much relief. Please advise.

Dr. Rashmi Singh

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

I read your query and understood your concern.

• From the description that you have provided, it sounds like you have candidal balanoposthitis, which is very common in diabetic males.
  • Please ask your sexual partner also to take the treatment even if she is asymptomatic.
  • The treatment is not very short and chances of recurrence are high.
  1. Apply Onabet cream (Sertaconazole) on the affected area in the morning and continue with Candid B (Clotrimazole and Betamethasone) at night time for five days. After five days, apply Onabet twice daily.
  2. I suggest you to take tablet Fluconazole 150 mg twice weekly for three weeks and give it to your partner also. I also suggest you tablet Cetirizine at night for 10 to 14 days. Consult a specialized doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicines with consent.
  3. Apply a towel dipped in saline over the area, which looks like cuts (erosion) to remove crusting and promote healing.

Revert back after 15 days to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am pleased with your answer.

Dr. Rashmi Singh

#

Welcome. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further doubts.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have colorless and odorless discharge. Is it due to hormonal imbalance?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 30 year old female. I am suffering from white discharge since the last four months. It is colorless, odorless with no itchiness and the quantity of the discharge is more than normal. Two years back, I had a similar problem for which I was advised to take Fluconazole 150 mg thre...  Read Full »

Diabetes and Eyes

Article Overview: Diabetes is one of the leading cause for permanent blindness. It is very essential for us to know to avoid the complications of diabetes. Micro-vascular complications will involve eyes, kidneys and nerves in common. But early detection and prevention will avoid permanent disability. Read Article

Dr. Pratap Vgm
Diabetologist

"EYES are the most beautiful organs created by nature which enables us to have vision. It is very important factor for individuals to be independent in their life" Diabetes is a metabolic syndrome entity which is characterized by hyperglycemia, high blood pressure and dyslipedemia. It causes variou...  Read Article

How can candidal balanitis be cured soon?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with balanitis about three weeks ago. I got antibiotics and was told by the doctor to keep the area clean and apply an anti-fungal cream. At first, it was super itchy and could not use anything tight. Right now I do not feel it but I can see as you see in the pictures,...  Read Full »