Q. Is it safe to take Duphaston post abortion?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

I had a medical abortion a month ago. My period came 29 days after the abortion. After the period I did an hCG test and it was positive. 37 days after abortion my hCG level is 18.21. After three days, the test showed 17.56. I also did an ultrasound and the doctor said I have 3 mm endometrial thickness on one spot. He prescribed me Duphaston to take from day 15th day to 25th day of my cycle. I am scared to take it and also I am scared that maybe I have some retained products but the doctor said I am fine. What should I do? Is it safe to take Duphaston in my condition?

This is an Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the ad.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

First of all, there is no harm in taking Duphaston in your condition. It is just a progesterone hormonal analog, the same hormone is secreted from the ovaries once the egg is released after ovulation. So there is nothing to worry about taking it. I would like to know what was the indication for checking beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) value at 37th-day post-abortion, when everything was fine, you even got your periods pretty much on time?

Regarding your beta hCG value, I would like to tell you that beta hCG may be detected in maternal blood up to 4-6 weeks post first-trimester miscarriage or medical abortion.

Did you had a missed miscarriage or was it an unwanted pregnancy that was terminated medically, and at how many weeks of gestation? This is important because sometimes missed miscarriage may harbor partial molar pregnancy which goes unnoticed, as biopsy or histopathological examination is not done for such cases.

But yes, any persistence beyond 6 weeks of abortions should be monitored carefully as these may be a hint of development of gestational trophoblastic neoplasia (GTN). As your scan is normal, and also endometrial thickness of 3 mm is also a normal finding, so there is no chance of having any retained products. It would be helpful if you could share the ultrasound reports (pre and post-abortion), and the dates of the events along with the date of doing beta hCG levels to have a better idea of your situation.

I would advise you to recheck your beta hCG value again after a week. Please revert back to me with the necessary details I requested you, so that I can guide you further.

Serum beta hCG value after a week.

| 

Having endometriosis. Can I use Vitex with Duphaston to conceive ?

Query: Hi doctor,I have endometriosis, so my doctor placed me on Duphaston 10 mg, once a day. But, I am not ovulating, and I am trying to conceive. Can I use Vitex 20 mg together with it?  Read Full »

Is there any harm in using Ovasafe and Duphaston if I plan to delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 20 years old and got married a year ago. I had a problem with water bubbles formed up in my uterus and causing irregular periods. I used Folvite and Cystelia 35 for three months. Now, the doctor has given the following tablets and informed that I could get pregnant if I use those...  Read Full »

Is the abortion process complete or not?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had an abortion pill. I took Mifepristone tablet first then after 36 hours, I took four tablets of Misoprostol of 200 mcg orally. At first, there was light bleeding during one hour then after some time I had heavy bleeding and it almost soaked two pads and it continued for ...  Read Full »