Q. Why is my hCG value too low?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 28, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 11, 2020

My last LMP was 17th. As my periods delayed seven days, I had a pregnancy test. The beta HCG value was 355.30 mIU/mL. Why the value is too low than the normal range? Is this something to worry?

Dr. Megha Tuli Gupta

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• The human chorionic gonadotropin - HCG levels increase progressively. Actually, one value of hCG in itself is not significant. No diagnosis can be made based on one value.
  • If you get another blood HCG test done after 48 hours and the value doubles compared to this value, then one can safely say that the pregnancy is safe and growing healthy.
  • The current hCG value only indicates a pregnancy. To confirm whether it is a healthy pregnancy or not, whether it is an ectopic or molar pregnancy a repeat test should be done in 48 hours.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

I had miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy in the last six months. Is it endometriosis?

Query: Hi doctor, I am recently trying to get pregnant and in the past six months, have had a miscarriage and an ectopic pregnancy. I am wondering if there is a chance I have endometriosis. I am wondering this because I have no other risks/causes that could have caused the ectopic. There is no chance I co...  Read Full »

Does my wife's hCG levels indicate a healthy pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she has PCOD. We are trying to conceive for 2 years. We had done an IUI which failed. We did IVF, but it ended with a chemical pregnancy. Last month, our doctor did Frozen Embryo Transfer (FET). He transferred 2 embryos on that day. We got a positive result...  Read Full »

My beta hCG values are 5.73 and 5.26. Does it confirm pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor,I am 38 years old. I did not get my last month period. After 15 days of missed period, my beta hCG value is 5.73. What is the chance of pregnancy? Do I have any issue? Please guide me.  Read Full »