Q. Please help me understand a bipolar with a strip club addiction.

Dr. Akanksha Sharma
Published on May 25, 2018

I am trying to understand a bipolar with a massive strip club addiction. He is in debt, it is ruining his life and every relationship. He lies about it and his debt to everyone. They call and text him. What is in it for him? Is it just sexual impulse, is it for attention or control? Do I need to be worried about having been exposed to an STD? He also gambles although it seems he has quit that and focused on strip clubs. I would like some help to understand. They use him and it ruins his life and he cannot stop.

#

I completely understand that you seem to be concerned about this guy. Let us name him Mr.X.

As you mentioned in the treatment history, he has been diagnosed with bipolar illness type 1, with a few episodes having psychotic features. Let me tell you, it is really concerning if you have been sexually or physically involved with this Mr.X. as the patients with BPAD (bipolar affective disorder) tend to involve in indiscriminate sexual activity, hypersexuality being one of the cardinal symptoms. Along with this, indulging in activities which can be self-harming like gambling, spending excess money, using credit cards without judgment, lending money to people, etc. can be seen.

Lying as you mentioned can be a part of his premorbid personality.

He needs to take medicines regularly as it is a bipolar illness meaning he can have two poles (extremes) - one is the excited phase (mania) and another the low phase or sad phase (depression).

He needs to be put on a mood stabilizer and an active phase treatment.

He also requires social support to monitor his meds.

Please get yourself tested for STDs (sexually transmitted diseases).

Let me know if I can help you again. Take care.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/psychiatrist

| 

How do I deal with my racing thoughts about death?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been feeling depressed, life is getting hopeless. I am very religious and I have racing thoughts about death and about life thereafter. I have been having decreased social interactions, isolation from others, curiosity, sad, a big sex desire, really wanting to die so that I can...  Read Full »

I am hearing sound and voices. Is it auditory hallucinations?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 23 years old. I have been hearing sound and voices for a couple of weeks. I think I am having auditory hallucinations. Experienced this before when I committed suicide eight years back. Then it stopped until now I am hearing them again. No medication.  Read Full »