Q. Is it possible that I could be pregnant when on birth control pills?

Dr. Sabita Laskar
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 24, 2021

I have been on birth control for quite a while now. From yesterday, I started spotting and had the worst cramps I have ever had. Today, I continued with the spotting and cramps, and I started throwing up everything I ate. Is it possible that I could be pregnant?

#

I presume the birth control that you mentioned is about oral contraceptives pills. Sometimes, it is not uncommon to have spotting while you are on pills, especially if you miss a few of your pills and start taking the rest again. At times, it is possible to have some breakthrough bleeding even if you have not missed your pills. It is very unlikely to get pregnant if you take your pills regularly.

But, if you do fall into the unfortunate group, who do get pregnant even after taking their pills regularly, I am afraid it is a concern as the incidences of pregnancy in abnormal sites (ectopic pregnancy) are common. So, I suggest you visit a gynecologist at the earliest to rule out the same. It might be a trivial cause of tummy upset like an infection, but we must rule out other serious conditions to be on the safe side.

|