Q. I am on Seasonique and got some red stuff during intercourse. Should I stop this?

Dr. Rashi Verma

I am on the generic form of Seasonique and I am starting the third month. For the past two weeks when I go to the bathroom and I wipe there is this brownish stuff on the toilet paper. Then when I had sex the other night this big glob of red stuff came out of me when I got off of my partner. Is this normal? Is there a way to stop this?

#

I have read your complaints. Seasonique is an extended-cycle birth control pill where period occurs once every third month. The pills are active pills and remainder pills. Periods will occur when you are taking the remander pills. It seems likely that you are taking reminder pills which lead to periods. Periods could be of longer duration when on Seasonique. Breakthrough bleeding is also common in the first three months of usage. The body takes time to adapt and it could also be because of that. Please consult your doctor if bleeding is persistent or heavy.

The big blob that you have mentioned, it would have been better had you mentioned the size. Nevertheless, I hope that you did not miss any dose in between. Missing dose increases the chance of pregnancy. If you did miss a dose, please get an ultrasound done to rule out if an abortion occured.

You could also get your hemoglobin level tested as this could cause persistent bleeding. If your hemoglobin is low you need to get that corrected first.

If all investigations are normal, and still the bleeding is causing discomfort you could stop using Seasonique and choose some other method of birth control.

|