Q. I have a circular black patch on the back with severe itching. Please help.

Dr. Snehal Laul

I have a black patch on my back which is almost circular and is itching constantly. It has become quite big in the last three to four months. Can you please suggest what it could be and what I can do?

It feels good when I put hot water on it. And it becomes very dry. It has a small line on its edges. The itching is happening continuously. It subsides a bit when I apply moisturizer. But the black patch seems to become darker.

#

Can you attach the picture of the lesion for an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan? Please attach a picture of it.

Can you please suggest what cream or medicine should I take. Any diet changes?

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

It is a fungal infection (Tinea). Use Luliconazole cream twice daily for 15 days. Tablet Widcet 5 mg twice daily for 15 days (if itching). Fucidin cream (Fusidic acid) at daytime for seven days.

Some of the causes may be:

Wearing tight clothes with improper aeration.

Too much sweat (humid and moist body part favors the growth of fungus).

Increased humidity.

Precautions:

- Wear loose clothes with proper aeration.

- Wash hands.

- Keep skin dry (as fungus prefers warm moist temperature).

- Take a bath properly (add neem leaves to water or any antiseptic liquid like Savlon or Dettol).

- Do not share your belongings.

- Wash clothes separately.

Follow up for any doubts.

|