Q. I have a soft tissue growth in gums and it is bleeding on brushing. Please help.

Dr. Beryl Fredrick
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 12, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2020

For months now, I am suffering from a gum problem. It bleeds while brushing but no pain. Two connected teeth (as shown in the attached picture) are slightly moving. A white soft gum-like tissue has grown. If I try to brush it away, it bleeds. Keeping in mind that I cannot attend any doctor physically now.

What to do with that soft white tissue? How can I prevent from bleeding? I am currently doing saltwater gargle and using Rexidine mouthwash twice daily.

#

I have gone through your query and attachment and understood your concern (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

From your tooth picture and your symptoms, the condition is called periodontitis. It is a condition wherein the bone and the gums surrounding the teeth will generally be weak. This could be because of various general and local (oral) factors.

The most common local factors are calculus/tartar due to compromised oral hygiene and oral habits (smoking, paan chewing, etc). They are hardened yellow deposits comprising mostly of food and bacteria that constantly irritate the gums and bone leading to periodontitis

Some of the general factors include:

1. Diabetes mellitus.

2. Hypertension.

3. Genetic factors.

4. Nutritional deficiencies.

5. Long term medications.

6. Immunocompromised diseases and other chronic illness since the gums are in a constant state of weakness, it tends to bleed spontaneously.

Sometimes gum bleeding is accompanied by other symptoms such as gum swelling, gum ache, bad breath and tooth mobility. Since the bone surrounding the teeth becomes weak, the teeth lose their stability (grip) and start to shake. This bone weakness and tooth mobility begin to show from the lower front teeth since those are the smallest ones in the jaw.

The soft white tissue could be an inflammatory or healing tissue that had grown due to this condition. Please do not try to remove that or disturb that while brushing. You will need treatment to clear that up. Also, this bleeding issue settles only when the local factors are treated. You will require an initial x-ray to estimate the severity of the periodontitis accompanied by a complete tooth and root cleaning procedure (scaling, root planing and polishing).

Once the calculus/tartar is cleared up, your gum bleeding issues will settle. Due to this COVID-19, it is better to manage this right now at home. However, this could be a temporary solution to the issue. You can get permanent relief only after complete treatment.

Meanwhile,

1. Continue warm salt water mouth rinsing. This will help reduce pain and infection. Swish it around for 30 seconds before spitting out. This remedy can be repeated as many times as required (one pinch of salt in one glass of lukewarm water).

2. Avoid hot, spicy, hard and chewy foods that can aggravate the condition.

3. Rinse mouth after every meal to remove food deposits.

4. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush.

5. Use Betadine mouthwash for the next two weeks.

This reduces gum infection and bleeding. Add five to seven drops of mouthwash in quarter glass of water. Rinse mouth with this solution for at least 30 seconds before spitting out. Do not rinse with water after this. Do not eat or drink anything for the next 30 minutes. Do this after brushing morning and evening, for two weeks.

6. If other general conditions presents, such as diabetes and hypertension, try to bring them under control.

7. Eat healthy foods and include more vegetables, seasonal fruits, and spinach.

8. Drink adequate water and try to get enough rest and sleep.

Once this COVID-19 settles, please do get a dental examination done and start with the treatment.

|