Q. I have pain in the left molar region and bleeding gums. Please help.

Dr. Muzaffer Hussain Parray
Published on Sep 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I have extreme pain in my left molar region, and I also have swollen gums that bleed while brushing. Please help.

#

I had gone through your question.

• I can understand your concern about your bleeding gums and gingivitis. You need to keep brushing your teeth even though it bleeds. And you also need to get your teeth cleaned (oral prophylaxis).
  • Probable causes:
  1. Plaque.
  2. Calculus.
  • I suggest you get an IOPA (intraoral periapical radiograph) in relation to the eighth tooth.
  • The probable diagnoses are:
  1. Periodontitis.
  2. Pericoronitis with ulcerative gingivitis.
  • I suggest you try the following medicines:
  1. Tablet Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice daily for at least one week if you are not allergic to it.
  2. Tablet Metronidazole 400 mg thrice daily for at least one week if you are not allergic to it.
  3. Hydrogen peroxide 6 % three times daily.
  4. Also, multivitamins especially Vitamin C and B12.
  5. Keep doing warm saline gargles.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent. Brush teeth twice daily using a ultra-soft tooth brush. 

For further queries consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Does the pain has something to do with my erupting wisdom teeth? What can I do to relieve the pain? And do I get a prescription of the medicines?

#

• Yes, it is because of the eruption of wisdom tooth (pericoronitis) as I had mentioned earlier. I suggest you try the following:
  1. Gargle with 20 % Hydrogen peroxide mouthwash. Dilute it with four times the share of (1:4) water.
  2. Tablet Ibuprofen twice daily.
  • Or tablet Ofloxacin 200 mg and Ornidazole 400 mg (in place of above mentioned two antibiotics) twice daily. Tablet Ibuprofen or Aceclofenac 200 mg twice daily. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

Please give a solution for an infected tooth.

Query: Hi doctor, My right tooth is infected. I have done a filling in the tooth before two years. Now, the infection has spread to the roots. I am unable to use the right side because of this problem. Please tell me the solution.  Read Full »

I have been suffering from throat pain, headache, and weakness, sickness since last 2 days.

Query: Dear Doctor, I have been suffering from throat pain, headache, weakness and sickness since last 2 days. Age-21 years/ female. Give me advice.  Read Full »

Is Augmentin 625 safe to take during the third week of pregnancy?

Query: Hello doctor, I am three weeks pregnant, and I am suffering from a chest infection. So an ENT specialist doctor prescribed Augmentin 625 tablet. I wanted to know if it is safe to use this antibiotic, as I am pregnant.  Read Full »