Q. How to identify the reason for abdominal bloating?

Published on May 29, 2016

For the past one year or more I have been suffering from occasional severe abdominal bloating. But, for the last few months it has been all day. I have been tested for celiac disease and the result was negative. My stomach becomes so big and I cannot walk or when sit. I cannot see or cloth my legs. It feels like it is just going to burst. I have a poor appetite and anything I have eaten just comes back up. I have vomited blood on two occasions and I always feel nausea. I cannot use the toilet sometimes for days, otherwise I cannot stop going. Sometimes, at the end of urination the pain can be so sore. The pain is constant under my right rib and runs down the right side and into the middle of my front. Please help with my condition.

#

• Vomiting blood is a red flag for gastritis, peptic ulcer or erosions in the stomach or duodenum.
  • I would highly suggest you follow up with a gasteroenterologist personally for upper GI endoscopy. If possible get a colonoscopy with biopsy for celiac disease in blood tests are very non-specific.
  • I would also be worried about Crohn's disease as it can affect the upper GI as well as lower GI tract.

1. Celiac disease (if not ruled out by a biopsy of the colon)
2. Crohn's disease
3. PUD (peptic ulcer disease).
4. Helicobacter pylori infection.
5. Gastritis.

CBC (complete blood count), EGD (Esophagogastroduodenoscopy) and colonoscopy.

It would depend upon the endoscopy and biopsy results.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

What could be the root cause for bloated stomach after having food?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old male. I am feeling bloated stomach and giddiness immediately after eating. The feel is more especially after lunch. What could be the root cause? Please explain. Thank you.  Read Full >>

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are reporting to have bloating after eating, especially lunch. These symptoms may be related to stomach issues like gastritis or gall bladder issues like biliary sludge (bile precipitation) or dyskinesia (gall bladder muscle motility disorder). In my opinion you sho...  Read Full

Can antral gastritis cause hunger?

Query: Hello doctor, I was diagnosed with antral gastritis, lots of acid in stomach and reflux. Problems started after I took some medicines. Since then I am always hungry. I eat more than before the problem started, but still I feel hungry. I am also suffering from excessive hair loss. Why am I always hu...  Read Full >>

Dr. Rajesh Kumar Padhan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. For antral gastritis take tablet Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily before food for a month. It will control acidity and reflux. Excessive hunger is good for you as your weight is normal and it is also good for stomach. Just rule out diabetes by doing fasting blo...  Read Full

I feel bloated and breathless. Is this normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having stomach problems for the past three days and I have been trying everything and not seem to work. Today I tried Zantac 150 and I feel really bloated and feel like I am out of breath. Is this normal? Please help.  Read Full >>

Dr. Albana Greca
Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concern. Bloating could be due to indigestion issues. Zantac (Ranitidine) will help reduce the acidity of the stomach but not immediately. Take antacids after the meal and at bedtime. Plus, take enzyme digest to help ease digestion, together with Simet...  Read Full