Q. Why do I always get blocked nose once I come home?

This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 27, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

For around six months, I am suffering with my nose allergy. When I go outside for a drive or something, I am fine without any problem with my nose. But, once I come home from outside, it is difficult for me to break by nose. I get blocked nose sometime one side nose and sometime both sides. There is no cold or fever, but blocked nose with sneeze. My local doctor said this is due to allergy. Also, he prescribed me some medicines. When I take that medicine, my problem goes away after and once the course gets over the problem will come back. I had medicines for a month and got tonsil stone. Now, even after three months, I still have something on the base of the tongue and tonsil. I have attached the photos of my mouth and throat. I am really afraid to see this kind of problem in my mouth. Please give me some advice about the medicine to get rid of this problem.

#

We are happy to help you.

Looking at the photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and with the description you have given I can understand how agonizing it is for you with these problems.

• Allergic rhinitis, because you have blocked nose and sneezing associated with climate or environmental changes. Otherwise, your nose seems to function well.
  • Allergic rhinitis is a problematic disease in that a perfect simple cure for the problem is elusive. However, acute episodes can be controlled using an antihistamine with or without an added component of leukotriene antagonist.
  • In simple terms a tablet of Allegra - M (Fexofenadine and Montelukast) or Montair-LC (Montelukast and Levocetirizine) will control the allergy episode.
  • However, long standing relief is given by nasal sprays like Mometasone furoate or Fluticasone propionate. These sprays should be sprayed twice daily in both nostrils for about a month and then dose tapered. These steroidal sprays reduce nasal inflammation and allergies.
  • The definitive treatment for allergy is immunotherapy. But, before which we need to identify what substances in the atmosphere cause the allergy in you. You must undergo a skin prick test or an immunoCAP test for the identification of the same.
  • After that we can give vaccines of the same allergens in increasing quantities for your body to adjust to the same in an environment without producing the symptoms of allergy. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the treatment with consent.
  • Second, your throat shows granular congestion in the posterior pharyngeal wall, tonsils and pillars. In addition to that the tonsils are studded with pus and calcified material which are termed as tonsilloliths. These are signs of long standing infection.
  • At the moment you need to take a course of antibiotics for the same, without anti-inflammatory and antacid medicines.
  • I suggest a course of Augmentin 625 mg (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) one tablet twice daily for five days, with Chymoral forte tablet taken twice daily in empty stomach and tablet Nexium (Esomeprazole) 40 mg one tablet taken twice daily in empty stomach.
  • Along with the above it is advised you take dilute Betadine mouth gargles thrice daily for a week.
  • In the long term, it is advisable to go for tonsillectomy surgery, which is a very safe procedure.
  • Tonsillectomy will ensure that your problems of tonsil stones and recurrent tonsillitis stop once and for all. Tonsillar enlargement cannot be cured by medicines alone. It needs surgery if it is recurrent tonsillitis and causes obstruction of breathing and swallowing.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|