Q. I noticed blood in stool. Is this due to piles or cancer?

Dr. Noushif. M

While passing motion just some time back, I noticed blood in the stool and immediately I wiped my anus area with a tissue. There was a good quantity of blood (bright red color) and few stools also were red in color. I wiped off the anus and completed my bowel movement. The rest of the motion went smoothly and there was no more blood (the motion color was dark brown). I have external piles for a few years now. There is mild swelling around the anus. There is no pain in the stomach or lower abdomen or near the anus.

My concerns:

1. Did this blood come due to piles?
  2. Should I get worried about colon or stomach cancer?
  3. Will this blood in the stool keep occurring?
  4. How to treat this issue?
#

The clinical picture looks typical of bleeding from piles. This is unlikely due to cancer. Do not worry. However, to make to be sure, you need to consider a colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy.

This blood comes whenever pressure happens on the pile mass, usually when you have hard stools or when you strain at stools.

So, your primary aim should be to avoid these two. You need to avoid constipation at any cost. Dietary measures persistently and medicines as and when necessary will definitely help you.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Thanks for the clarifications. Few more questions. Two weeks back, I had loose motion due to food infection. I had visited the GP and at the same time, I showed my piles also. The doctor said that there is piles, but they are now in sleeping mode or nonactive. I would need a confirmation that this is not related to cancer. Could you please comment on the same?

#

The only way for confirmation is colonoscopy, which I would definitely recommend.

After the initial incident of noticing blood while passing the stool more than a week back, there were no more similar incidents since then. But now I am noticing that my stool color is dark brown most of the times. For example, when I pass stool in morning the color is light brown at the start of the bowel and at the end, the color of stool is dark brown. I just had a bowel movement now, the stool was dark brown entirely.

I am not having upper or lower abdomen pain or vomit. I have these questions.

1. Is the change in my stool color a serious issue?
  2. Is there any major disease underlying this symptom?
  3. Is there a home remedy to cure this?
#

These color changes are not pathological and happen often. You need to be concerned if the color is black/tarry or contains blood. It does not look anything so major from the current symptoms. No house remedies too.

The only way by which we can make sure of the absence of serious illness is a colonoscopy.

Improve your diet and hydration.

What is the procedure for a colonoscopy? Is it a painful one? How should I get prepared for a colonoscopy procedure? What diet should I follow?

#

You can approach a nearby surgeon or gastroenterologist who performs the procedure. You need to have a liquid diet for two to three days. Have to get bowel preparation done the previous day.

The procedure is done under sedation. It is not a painful one.

Due to stomach bloating and irregular bowel movement issue which I had for two weeks, I had been to the doctor. The doctor performed endoscopy and found out that I have Erythematous gastritis and have provided medication. I have attached the endoscopy report and the prescription. My doubts are as follows.

1. Is Erythematous gastritis common issue?2. What would have caused this issue in me?3. Is this curable?4. Will it result in any future life-threatening problem?5. Are the medications provided are right?

#

It is just simple gastritis. It is a disorder which has resulted from hyperacidity. It might be provoked by some of the food contents. Nothing to worry.

This is a very common thing. It is curable but may reappear if precipitating factors hit again. It is not life threatening. The medicines prescribed are good for this and I would suggest to continue them.

For further doubts consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

I got a few more questions. May I know whether apart from Erythematous gastritis issue rest of my stomach and lower and upper intestines are normal? Do these medications have any sides effects because there is a mild pain in my lower abdomen? I am not sure it is due to body heat or from medicine). How much time does Erythematous gastritis take to heal completely? In future, is there any food that I should avoid?

#

The whole intestine was not examined by the endoscopy you have done. Your symptoms do not mandate that. However, if symptoms are persisting further investigations for guts need to be done, especially contrast CT abdomen for small.intestine and colonoscopy (endoscopy through the anus) for large intestines. There are no significant side effects of the medicines which you are on now. It takes 2 to 3 weeks for gastritis to settle completely. Need to avoid excess spicy, masala based and fatty/oily stuff. Avoid keeping the stomach empty for prolonged periods.

|