Q. When I checked my son's BP it showed irregular heart symbol. What to do?

This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 24, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

A few days back, I was measuring BP using electronic BP monitor on my 11 year old kid. I observed irregular heartbeat symbol blinking after measurement, and that got me worried. I measured eight times again in the last two days and got IHB symbol for around 4 out of 8 times. His average BP reading is 120/77 mmHg, and pulse rate is 98. Is this normal for a child of this age? We have had regular visits with our physician in the past, and he did not observe anything during his earlier checkups. Only, he was asked to do more physical exercise as his BP was marginally high at 125/85 mmHg.

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• Blood pressure is normal, although a bit on higher side. There is no reason for him to have irregular beats.
  • Is he having any symptoms like episodic palpitations or very rapid heart beat, chest heaviness or shortness of breath? If not, then that is most probably a false interpretation by the machine. Sometimes, the device may detect normal variation in pulse with respiration as irregular.
  • You feel his pulse, and see if you find any pauses during the pulse, or it is regular. You can compare with your pulse. Irregular pulse will be very noticeable.
  • Also, you can get him examined by the doctor for the pulse and measuring BP with apparatus in front of the doctor, and an ECG will be confirmatory.

For further doubts consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

|