Q. My average BP is 130/90 mmHg. Am I hypertensive?

Dr. Isaac Gana

I tried monitoring my blood pressure for the past two weeks. My average is around 130/90 (please see attached records of BP and lipid profile test). Can I be already considered as hypertensive? Should I need to take BP lowering maintenance at this point? Also, I am on statin maintenance since 2019 for elevated cholesterol.

I am currently on Zyrova 10mg, daily Eltoxin 10 mg, five times a week.

Dr. Isaac Gana

Cardiology
#

I understood your concern. Thank you very much for attaching your blood pressure readings (attachment removed to protect patient identity). It helps a lot to understand better what the problem might be.

Your readings are all within normal but can be said to be prehypertension. You do not need medication at this moment. All you need to do is to modify your lifestyle.

1. Reduce salt consumption. Eat healthy foods and take more veggies and fruits.

2. Avoid tobacco or excessive alcohol intake.

3. Do regular exercise for at least three to four times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Do check your blood pressure readings every day and record them for the next month and get back to me to see your progress.

|