Q. My mother has fluctuations in blood pressure and high creatinine levels. Is this a serious issue?

Dr. Nagaraj Patil
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 30, 2020 and last reviewed on: Dec 29, 2020

My mom is 77 years old. Her sugar level is normal but she has high blood pressure, especially systolic blood pressure. She takes Cetanil 20 mg after breakfast and after lunch, and after dinner, she takes Met XL 50. Her creatinine level is 1.5 mg/dL and it is high. The doctor told me that she cannot take ACE and ARB group of medicines. Can she take Prazopress XL 2.5 with Met XL 50 together after dinner?

#

I understand your concern. You have not mentioned the blood pressure now with medications. Blood pressure medications have to be taken either in the morning or night. I do not know the reason for your mother taking tablets in the morning and afternoon. Her creatinine level is high and she should use ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor) or ARB (angiotensin receptor blockers). Prazopress (Prazosin) causes some side effects initially and needs to be taken under the guidance of your doctor. Cetanil (Cilnidipine) is the best medicine for your mother and it can be given along with Met XL (Metoprolol). If she has dehydration, and so she can have a high creatinine level. Repeat the test after four weeks and then I will review it.

My mother's blood pressure fluctuates nowadays. Sometimes she has 120 by 72 mmHg or 136 by 72 mmHg. Sometimes systolic blood pressure seems to be high with 150 or 160. Her blood urea level is 33 mg/dL and her creatinine is 1.52 mg/dL, sodium level is 137.29 mEq/L, potassium level is 3.79 mmol/L, triglyceride is 162 mg/dL, and cholesterol is 172 mg/dL. She has a HDL of 43 mg/dL, LDL of 97 mg/dL, and VLDL of 32 mg/dL. She takes Rosukem F10 according to the prescription given by her old doctor. I am attaching the prescription. She is taking Oltha plus for depression. Can I know whether it belongs to ARB?

#

I have gone through the information given and the reports attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Having fluctuations in blood pressure is quite natural and it is seen in healthy individuals too. Fluctuation in BP (blood pressure) in your mother is not a matter of concern on considering her age and it is not too high. All the other blood parameters are normal except creatinine on considering her age. She is taking a good antihypertensive which will take care of her BP. Having systolic blood pressure of 130 is good enough for her. We can repeat the test after four weeks to see if there is an increase. After that, I review the medications. I suggest maintaining good hydration by giving at least three to four liters of water to your mother. She is in a good health with all the required medications.

|