Q. My FBS is 140 mg/dL, whereas my PPBS level drops to 72 mg/dL after taking medication. Why?

Dr. Hariharan V
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 21, 2020 and last reviewed on: Feb 25, 2020

I am diabetic and hypertensive. I also have arthritis. I am taking Gemer-1, Folvite, Febituz, Methotrex weekly once, Ecosporin and Repace 25. My fasting blood sugar level is 140 mg/dL and on taking Gemer-1 my postprandial blood sugar is 72 mg/dL. Why this happens?

Dr. Hariharan V

Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Nutritionist
#

Yes, it happens. In a diabetic, fasting blood sugar usually results from a combination of factors, the two most important being,

1) What you ate the day (or night) before and how high your blood sugar spiked. If you have very high blood sugar the night before, you should expect your fasting blood sugar to be elevated. Sometimes an eight-hour fast is just not long enough to bring down the blood sugar.

2) Dawn Phenomenon is common in diabetics, and it is when hormones that you produce in the morning cause your liver to release more glucose for energy. Either way, higher fasting levels result. Often Dawn phenomenon and high blood sugar from the day or night before work with each other. When you eat, the liver stops pumping out so much glucose, and postprandial blood sugar can drop, which is what happened to you. My suggestion is to do a pre-dinner sugar and see what is your blood glucose level before dinner. If it is high (>130), we have to alter the drugs and dosage.

| 

Can you tell the reason for fasting blood sugar level higher than postprandial?

Query: Hi doctor, My fasting blood sugar is 130 to 135 over last four years. My postprandial sugar is between 90 to 110. Yes, my postprandial is less than my fasting sugar level. Usually, the reading will be taken after 1 hour 45 minutes or 2 hours after eating breakfast. I am unable to bring down the fast...  Read Full »

I have itching of scrotum from two weeks. Please suggest anti-fungal medicines.

Query: Hello doctor, I am experiencing itching of the scrotum, below the scrotum area as well as in the tip of the foreskin. There is a dry and inflamed area on the right scrotum area. There is inflammation of the tip of fore skin. There is inflammation of the area below the scrotum. I am experiencing it...  Read Full »

Please help me lower my blood sugar levels.

Query: Hello doctor, I have diabetes since the last 11 to 12 years, and I started taking medicines given by my family doctor. Presently, I am taking Glimisave M2 (one tablet in the morning and evening), Dynaglipt 20 (one tablet in the morning), and Absolut 3G (one in the evening). My health is fine, and I...  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now