Can I bring my increased blood sugar levels back to normal with exercises?

Q. Will my blood sugar levels reduce if I exercise and reduce weight?

Dr. Shaikh Sadaf
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 20, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2023

I had my blood sugar level tested after nine hours of fasting, and it was 138 g/dL. Am I diabetic? Nine hours back, I had a cold drink and burger, and I am overweight. Will my blood sugar level reduce if I exercise and reduce weight?

#

I just read your query. I cannot say on just one high reading that you have diabetes. You need to do a HbA1C test to be sure of this. Yes, the meal which you described can give high blood sugar levels. If you modify your lifestyle, then definitely you can help yourself from getting many chronic diseases. Avoid sweet drinks and junk food. Eat 5 to 6 servings of fruits and vegetables, and exercise for an hour daily. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

My HbA1C was 6.4 last month. Is it fine?

#

I just read your HbA1C level, and I must say it is still normal. But, you are on the verge of developing diabetes shortly, from six months to a year if you do not take care. Avoid sugary drinks and modify your lifestyle as I had advised earlier, and you can reverse it altogether. Hope you act on it and commit to my advice and take care of your health. Good luck.

Can I take Metformin to lose weight? Is it safe? My doctor advised me to lose weight as soon as possible because I have fatty liver.

#

I just read your query. It appears that you have obesity and fatty liver and you want to take Metformin to lose some weight. Yes, you can take tablet Metformin 500 mg thrice a day for three to six months. Hope you find my advice of some benefit. Good luck.

|