Q. What can cause blood under the skin in leg and ankle?

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

My father-in-law has blood under the skin on his leg and ankle. He has had a stroke in the past and is on blood thinners. He said it is not painful and he cannot recall any hit. There is some swelling in some black and blue. He is on cholesterol medicines too. Please help.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

#

• I need to know what blood thinners are being used.
  • Warfarin and other blood thinners like Aspirin, Clopidogrel act by inhibiting normal coagulation cascade in one way or the other, the effect of which is increased risk of bleeding.
  • Minor nose bleed and bruising, major gastrointestinal bleeding, intracerebral bleeding, etc.
  • Sudden unexplained bruising can occur spontaneously or with minimal trauma due to leak in surface capillaries. This will spontaneously disappear.
  • The effect of Warfarin can be known by INR (International normalized ratio) which is usually maintained below 2.5.
  • His BMI (body mass index) is also high. I would advise him to follow proper diet and do moderate physical activity.

Revert back with the details to a general medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-medicine-physician

| 

This is a sponsored video. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content/ad in the video.

What are the chances of bleeding from a sudden blow if I am on blood thinners?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on warfarin for life. Yesterday, while I was working in my house, I knocked the upper back part of my head on the marble roof of the window pane. It was neither a hard blow nor a soft one. It was medium. I did not feel any pain. I did not have any blackout but was stunned for two...  Read Full »

Please suggest a diet plan for hypothyroidism and high BP.

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 50 year old male. My height is 6 feet and my weight is 90 kg. I take regular medications for hypothyroidism and high BP. I am attaching my latest reports. Please suggest a low-carb high-fat vegetarian diet.  Read Full »