Q. A boil present above my beltline is oozing out from multiple pores. What should I do?

Dr. Bincy Varghese
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 16, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 17, 2021

I have boils that appear from time to time. Now, I have some boils above my beltline. It started outlining an ingrown hair with a white head. My wife tried to pull the hair with tweezers. But zit popped and we never got the hair. I have used some peroxide on it and drained more. On the next morning, it was more below the skin and so we did warm compresses. It has been oozing out and it appears to be coming out from multiple pores. Now it seems to be bigger. What to do?

#

Recurrent boils can occur due to a bacterial infection of the hair follicle and it can cause painful pus-filled eruptions on the body. If you are having a frequent recurrence, then it can occur due to persistent infection or reinfection. Please mention whether you have diabetes. If so, you are more prone to develop recurrent bacterial infections. You have mentioned that you have some pus coming from many openings. It indicates a carbuncle. This needs incision and drainage. A pus culture has to be done to know the sensitivity of the organism and antibiotics can be taken accordingly to treat the infection. Taking Penicillins, Cephalosporins or Tetracyclines orally can be helpful.

Application of Mupricon in the skin fold areas helps to eradicate colonizing bacteria. Some precautions can be taken to prevent recurrent boils. Have hand hygiene. Wash your hands frequently especially after coming back from public places, gym, and office. Keep your soap and towels separately. Use disposable trimmers or razors and do not share with anybody. You can start taking zinc and vitamin D supplements to boost your overall immunity. If your spouse or partner is suffering from recurrent boils, then they need treatment.

|