Q. A boil present above my beltline is oozing out from multiple pores. What should I do?

Dr. Bincy Varghese
I have had boils appear from time to time. The come to a head , break and drain. This time I have one on my side above my beltline. It started outlining lime an ingrown hair with a white head. My wife tried to pull the hair with tweezers, the zit popped and we never got the hair. Put some peroxide on it and a bandaid in case it drained more. Next morning it was like there was more under the skin so did warm compresses. It has been oozing out, but appears to be coming from multiple pores . now it it seems to get bigger as more start to drain. What else should I do?

Dr. Bincy Varghese

Dermatology Venereology
#

Hi! Welcome to icliniq & thanks for the query.

Recurrent boils can be a nuisance. It is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle and can cause painful pus filled eruptions on the body. If you are having frequent recurrences it could be because of persistent infection or reinfection. Are you diabetic or atopic? If so, you may be more prone to develop recurrent bacterial infections. You mention seeing pus coming from many openings which indicates it could be a carbuncle. This may need incision & drainage. Ideally a pus culture should be done to know the sensitivity of the organism and antibiotics started accordingly to completely treat the infection. Usually penicillins, cephalosporins or tetracyclines are used orally. Application of mupirocin in the skin fold areas helps to eradicate the colonising bacteria in these locations.

Some precautions to prevent recurrent boils include:

1. Hand hygiene - wash your hands frequently especially after being in public spaces, gyms, offices, etc
  2. Keep your soap and towels separate.
  3. Use disposable trimmers or razors and never share with anybody.
  4. You can start taking zinc and vit D supplements to boost your overall immunity
  5. If your spouse/ partner or any close contacts suffer from recurrent boils they should also get treated.

Hope this helps

|