I am a 42-year-old man, active in sports. Recently about five days back, while playing football on a concrete floor, I slipped and fell on my lower back (coccyx area) and injured myself. I, however, can carry on my daily activities at slightly slower speed now, and there is slight pain on bending forward.
Since two days, a big boil has appeared near my rectal opening. It is dark yellow in color, may be filled with pus, not sure. It is painful whenever I pull in my pelvic or butt muscles. Stools are normal, luckily the boil is above the rectal opening, so no problem in passing stools, but while washing, I can feel the boil and it is painful.
I have pain also while walking. I have three questions.
1. Did the fall I had lead to the boil? Or are these two independent problems?
2. What is the reason for the boil?
3. How to treat it quickly?
Welcome to icliniq.com.
1. This is most likely a bacterial infection affecting either hair follicle or perianal glands.
2. It does not seem likely that it is related to your lower back injury.
3. The causative agent is mostly the bacterium known as Staphylococcus aureus.
4. The pus has to be drained, for the immediate relief.
5. Most of the patients get better with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs in a few days time.
6. So I will prescribe you the medications for five days and it is likely that it will get better.
Bacterial infectionInvestigations to be done:
Not required right nowDifferential diagnosis:
Furuncle, perianal abscessProbable diagnosis:
Furuncle, perianal abscessTreatment plan:
1. Capsule Augmentin 625 mg(amoxicillin+potassium clavulanate)thrice a day.
2. Capsule Bifilac 1 once a day.
3. Tablet Flexing twice a day.
All after meals for 5 days.
Was this answer helpful?|
Thank you doctor,
Just a quick question. In the prescription, the second and third items are given as zero days. I guess it would also be 5 days? Another query is if I just leave it like that (without medicines), how long would it take to cure? I have a background of not taking frequent baths. So my problem may be due to my improper hygiene?
Welcome back to icliniq.com.
1. Sorry, I forgot to mention it. yes, it would be for 5 days also.2. Yes, it would subside eventually without medicines also, albeit rather slowly.
Was this answer helpful?|
Query: Hi doctor, I have a boil on my inner thigh, which keeps recurring. I have had a boil in the same spot before. When I popped it went away, but now it has come back. It is also very painful. Please help. Read Full »
Query: Hi doctor, I am in real pain for past 9 months and my doctor is clueless after several visits. After a period of 38.6 weeks in latent labor, I had a vacuum assisted vaginal delivery (first baby). No ultrasound was done the very day of admission. With crowning left medio-lateral episiotomy was given.... Read Full »
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 23 year old male. My height is 165 cm and weight is 78 kg. I had a whitehead boil kind of thing in the pubic region for around three to four months. But, there was no pain on touching or pressing. Now very recently, I got four more similar things at the end of penis near the junct... Read Full »
Ask your health query to a doctor online?Ask a Dermatologist Now