Q. What are the ways to cure fracture in the fingers?

Dr. Anuj Gupta

I have a fracture of the bone joint on my right hand ring finger which was caused by a road traffic accident were I was hit by a van pulling out of a side road. I was due surgery to repair the injury last month. The surgeon decided not to operate as under the live X-ray he was able to manipulate the bone back into the joint, therefore asked physio to splint the finger, the issue is each time I take the splint of to clean the bone is back as fracture and am not able to bend my ring finger. I am due to see my surgeon as the splinting is not working. Any advice of what I need to ask my surgeon to do is most appreciated.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Well there is intra-articular fracture of base of middle phalynx of your ring finger (attachment removed to protect patient identity). If I would be the surgeon then I would have gone for operative treatment because intra-articular fractures need perfect reduction. If he has decided to treat it non operatively then he could have applied plaster or strapping which is not removable like your current splint.

| 

Thank you for your reply. The situation now is that the finger is rotating to the right and is scissoring/overlapping with the small right hand finger. Please would you be kind enough to advise what operation you would perform to repair the damage and also to deal with the rotation issue and scissoring. Your advice will be most helpful to me. Please see attached the photo of my finger splinted.

Dr. Anuj Gupta

Orthopedics And Traumatology
#

Well it needs open reduction and fixation either by K wire or mini plate can also be applied. But I feel K wire is enough and less invasive.

| 

I am diagnosed with tinnitus. What could be the cause for it?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been diagnosed with tinnitus, and it is driving me crazy for the past 5.5 months. In my CTA examination, my upper cervical spine demonstrates some moderate facet arthritis primarily at c2 and c3. It also shows an incomplete fusion of the posterior arch of c1 and mild cervical s...  Read Full »

My front tooth is moving after a hard bite. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have bitten an olive pit accidentally, and now, one of my front teeth is moving. There is no pain, and I have a slight sensitivity to cold and hot foods. But now I cannot bite anything using my front teeth. Please advise.  Read Full »

Can a nasal bone fracture be fixed in an ENT office?

Query: Hello doctor, My nose got hit about a week ago and I got a bloody nose. Usually, when I get bloody noses I just leave it and it heals by itself but this time was diffrent. The next couple of days I could not breathe right through my left nostril, my nose kept dripping clear fluid and for some reaso...  Read Full »

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now