Q. Can trigger thumb recover without surgery?

Dr. Preeti Puranik
Published on Jun 26, 2017

My baby boy has trigger thumb problem, and he is just 11 months old. Our family doctor has suggested surgery, as a treatment option. We are ready for surgery, but we are thinking about the baby's age. Is his age sufficient for the surgery? We are thinking to get the surgery done after 18 months. Should we proceed with surgery now? Or can we wait for another six months? Or is there any chance to recover without surgery? Please help.

Dr. Preeti Puranik

Paediatrics
#

• If the condition is not causing much pain or discomfort to the baby, then surgery can be done after six months. Meanwhile, other measures like physiotherapy and splinting also can help.
  • But if the condition is very painful and is causing trouble to the baby, then it is better to get the surgery done now. The response after physiotherapy and splinting will guide whether it can be corrected without surgery or not.

For more information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Why do I have pain in leg on moving my foot up and down?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19-year-old male. I was playing basketball with my friend and his knee went hard into the lower outside of my lower left calf. After that, it began to hurt and now it has been about six hours and I struggle to put weight on it. It sends pain down into my foot and ankle and movi...  Read Full »

What is the best treatment for Erb's palsy?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter has Erbs palsy but we did physiotherapy for three months and the doctor said she is fine but she is still struggling with the hand and this is about six months after the doctor discharged us. Please tell me what should I do.  Read Full »