Q. What could the lump on my tarsal foot bone be?

Dr. Firas Arnaout
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

I am concerned about a bone lump on my right foot in the tarsal area, probably talus, or calcaneus. I am not really sure. It is located on the right side of my right foot below the ankle joint. I am attaching pictures of me pointing at the spot. There is a small ganglion near it but I am not concerned about that. The bone lump is what that is troubling me. There is no pain at all almost. It is there mainly when I drive and use the gas pedal a lot.

I know about it for more than half a year, but it was there probably longer. It is smooth when I press on it and kind of round and hard as a bone. I have had some x-rays done on my feet, it was some time ago but the lump was there back then. My biggest concern is that this could be some kind of bone cancer. I am also sending the x-ray files of both of my feet. Could you have a look at them?

#

I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

I understand that you are concerned about a lump in your right midfoot on the outer side.

The probable cause is a benign bony prominence.

However, differential diagnoses include a calcified ganglion, accessory ossicle, a subluxed peroneal tendon, ankle ligament sprain, and tarsal coalition.

You described the lump as a hard lump with a smooth surface. The pictures you sent suggest that it is around 2 cm long and 1cm wide.

Investigations that need to be done include anteroposterior and lateral and oblique radiographs of the right foot.

The fact that it has been there for a long time and that there is no pain is reassuring and goes against cancer. However, it is important to know if there have been any recent changes.

Prevention measures include wide comfortable shoes with good padding.

The attached files only contain clinical photographs.There are no radiographs to comment on. Kindly upload the reports.

You need to contact a doctor if the lump changes or becomes painful.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I have attached the required files. The lump is not that big. In the picture, the 2 x 1cm lump is a ganglion which is soft to touch. Below this, is a hard bony lump but it is only noticeable when I press down. Thank you for your answer.

#

It seems you might have what is called tarsal coalition, which is an accessory bony connection between two of the foot bones.

This is completely benign and does not usually cause any issues.

You only need to keep an eye on it. You can use insoles if it becomes painful.

In addition, there is a small bony ossicle corresponding to the side of the bony lump you described.

This is an accessory bone and is a normal variant. So, there is no cause for any concern.

It can sometimes occur for a long time after spraining in sports injuries.

|