Q. What could the lump on my tarsal foot bone be?

Answered by
Dr. Firas Arnaout
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 23, 2018 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2020

Hello doctor,

I am concerned about a bone lump on my right foot in the tarsal area, probably talus, or calcaneus. I am not really sure. It is located on the right side of my right foot below the ankle joint. I am attaching pictures of me pointing at the spot. There is a small ganglion near it but I am not concerned about that. The bone lump is what that is troubling me. There is no pain at all almost. It is there mainly when I drive and use the gas pedal a lot.

I know about it for more than half a year, but it was there probably longer. It is smooth when I press on it and kind of round and hard as a bone. I have had some x-rays done on my feet, it was some time ago but the lump was there back then. My biggest concern is that this could be some kind of bone cancer. I am also sending the x-ray files of both of my feet. Could you have a look at them?



Welcome to

I have gone through the attachments (attachment removed to protect patient identity)

I understand that you are concerned about a lump in your right midfoot on the outer side.

The probable cause is a benign bony prominence.

However, differential diagnoses include a calcified ganglion, accessory ossicle, a subluxed peroneal tendon, ankle ligament sprain, and tarsal coalition.

You described the lump as a hard lump with a smooth surface. The pictures you sent suggest that it is around 2 cm long and 1cm wide.

Investigations that need to be done include anteroposterior and lateral and oblique radiographs of the right foot.

The fact that it has been there for a long time and that there is no pain is reassuring and goes against cancer. However, it is important to know if there have been any recent changes.

Prevention measures include wide comfortable shoes with good padding.

The attached files only contain clinical photographs.There are no radiographs to comment on. Kindly upload the reports.

You need to contact a doctor if the lump changes or becomes painful.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->

Thank you doctor,

I have attached the required files. The lump is not that big. In the picture, the 2 x 1cm lump is a ganglion which is soft to touch. Below this, is a hard bony lump but it is only noticeable when I press down. Thank you for your answer.



Welcome back to

It seems you might have what is called tarsal coalition, which is an accessory bony connection between two of the foot bones.

This is completely benign and does not usually cause any issues.

You only need to keep an eye on it. You can use insoles if it becomes painful.

In addition, there is a small bony ossicle corresponding to the side of the bony lump you described.

This is an accessory bone and is a normal variant. So, there is no cause for any concern.

It can sometimes occur for a long time after spraining in sports injuries.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
I keep getting ganglion cysts on a previously fractured bone. Why?

It will be sore for some time as the content needs to be absorbed and a sheath covering the swelling allows the contents to dissipate ...   Read full

I had a leg injury six months back. When will it heal?

From your description, it appears you are suffering from an ankle sprain ... A proper ankle brace is better if required ... On x-ray ex...   Read full

Plantar Fasciitis

Some other conditions that can cause foot and heel pain are osteoarthritis, ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis, and heel pad syndrome ...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»
Importance of Sex Hormones - Types, Functions, Normal Ranges, and Roles
Sex hormones are steroids produced in the body that control sexual development, pregnancy, and overall health. Read belo...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Orthopaedician & Traumatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.