Q. From the reports, please provide the diagnosis for the breast lump.

Dr. Maneesha

My mother is having a lump in her right breast for the past three months. I have attached her mammography and biopsy reports. Kindly help me know her diagnosis.

Thanks.

#

I have gone through her report (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). It shows an irregular mass in the breast, which is highly suggestive of malignancy (cancer). The lesions have the characteristic morphology of breast cancer with more than a 95% chance of being malignant. It needs an urgent biopsy to confirm the staging through which treatment is selected. The treatment options are surgical excision, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy. It is advisable to elicit the associated complaints like nipple discharge, puckering of the skin, and family history of breast and ovarian cancer.

Thanks for the reply.

The biopsy report is pending. And there is no history of any other complaints like nipple discharge, puckering of the skin, and family history of breast and ovarian cancer. Is her condition curable?

Thanks.

#

The treatment depends upon the staging of breast cancer. It needs more evaluation by MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and tumor markers which tells us the size of the tumor, its spread to other sites in the body, and the status of the lymph nodes.

Stage 1 and 2 have a good prognosis, while stage 3 is promising with surgery, chemotherapy, and radiotherapy. But stage 4 means the tumor had spread to other body sites, and hence the prognosis will be poor.

|