Q. My breastfeeding wife has a painful lump on her left breast. Please help.

Dr. Reetika Joshi

My wife is breastfeeding my nine months baby. Suddenly from today morning, her left breast got a lump, and it is painful. Kindly help.

#

I fully understand your concern and will surely help you. Can you tell me if she has any fever as well. Is she having more than the required quantity of milk, what the baby is demanding? Any problem in the right breast? Any history of similar complaints? Is your baby completely on mother feed or shifting to outside milk or semi-solid diet recently?

See majority of the time this kind of problem comes due to excess milk produced by a feeding mother and the child not drinking the quantity produced. So do not worry, please share the details as asked above so that I can help you better. It is nothing serious.

No fever. Yes, the quantity is sufficient until now we have never given formula. No history of similar complaints. Baby is on solid diet for the past two months, but for the last few days baby is not taking much BF during day time due to teething. He drinks only in the night time.

#

If the lump is very painful and appears red or the local temperature of the area is raised, means warm to touch, then you need to show to the doctor to rule out any pus underneath. Sometimes pus collection is large so incision and drainage is needed.

If the size not big and you cannot immediately consult a doctor then take tablet Augmentin (Amoxicillin and Clavulanic acid) 625 mg thrice daily for three days, Pantoprazole 40 mg once daily for three days, tablet Lupisera D (Diclofenac + Serratiopeptidase) thrice daily for three days, tablet Vitamin C 500 mg twice daily for five days.

Do hot fomentation and regular emptying of milk from the breast. If it does not improve, show to the nearby doctor for examination and further management.

|