Q. Can I give Cerelac for a 4. 5 months old baby?

Dr. Babu Lal Meena
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 19, 2019

My baby girl is 4.5 months old and she is exclusively breastfed. Her birth weight was 3.5 kg and she is currently weighing 5.5 kg. Is her weight gain normal? Do you suggest adding cerelac to her diet? I could not see any sign of milk insufficiency, but had a concern on her weight gain. Also, she urinates nearly 20 times in a day, is this normal? Please guide.

Dr. Babu Lal Meena

Child Health Medical Gastroenterology Paediatrics
#

• Yes, her weight is fine. And probably your feed is also fine, because she is gaining weight adequately.
  • You can notice sign of adequate feed in the form of satisfaction after feeding, frequent urination, sleeping after feed and gaining weight.
  • Supplements are required after six months of age. Till then breast milk is sufficient. There is no need to give Cerelac now.
  • Start giving cereals after six months of age.

For further queries consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

| 

Is cough medicine safe while breastfeeding?

Query: Hi doctor, My wife is a lactating mother of 2 months old baby. Since one week she is suffering with bad dry cough. For past 2 days she is unable to sleep. For every 5 to 10 minutes she gets cough. We consulted a doctor and had medicine. But, still there is no relief. I attached the medicines that w...  Read Full »

Is I-pill safe while breastfeeding?

Query: Hi doctor, Is I-pill safe while breastfeeding? If not, then what are the alternative measures?  Read Full »

Best Foods to Eat When Breastfeeding

Article Overview: Many women are concerned about their weight post pregnancy and decide to shed off some kilos immediately. Some women think that post-pregnancy, they can immediately follow a fad diet like fruit diet, salad diet and lose weight and achieve the pre-pregnancy weight back. These crash diets lack all the nutrients essential for the mom’s body as well as the infant’s body. It is very important for mothers to be aware that what they actually consume during this stage is extremely beneficial for proper supply of milk production for their baby. In fact, a proper maternal lactation diet is extremely essential for having a good composition of breast milk which is essential for the baby's growth and development, both emotionally and physically. Read Article

Dr. Krystel Quadros
Lactation Counselor

Following are some of the lactation diet tips to be followed by every mom. Consumption Of Galactagogues Galactagogues are amazing lactation herbs which enhance and improve maternal milk production which is very much required for the infant. It helps increase hormones like prolactin and oxytocin wh...  Read Article