Q. My 2-month-old daughter passed green stools about 15 times since morning. Why?

Dr. Samir Bhatia
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My daughter is 2-month-old, and she has been doing green stool since morning. She has done it 15 times so far. Which medicine should I give so that it becomes better? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Children have gastrocolic reflex, wherein they pass stool moment they feed. So it can be 20 times also. But I would like to know what feed are you giving to the child. Is she on exclusive breastfeeding? Is she passing urine atleast five times? Is she active and feeding well? Does her skin touch feel dry?

Suppose everything is normal, then nothing to do. If the child is lethargic, not feeding well, and not passing urine, we will start treatment. If possible, send a picture of the baby. I am giving you a free follow-up, kindly revert, and I will help you in this regard.

She is taking breastfeeding mostly, but one or two times a day, we gave her packet milk of (Verka). Last two days, she has reduced milk intake. Her body is a little bit dry but urinating with stool. I feel she is not perfectly fine. Please guide me.

#

I would advise stopping packet milk because external feeding milk makes the gut hyperactive, and also, by bottle-feeding, there is a risk of infections. Breast milk is the best milk baby will gain weight. If she is passing urine means she is fine. In the picture (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity), also she looks fine. So there is no sign of dehydration.

I will advise you to increase the time you are breastfeeding and revert if she becomes lethargic or has decreased urine output which if you remain confident and breastfeed it will not happen. I hope this was helpful.

|