Q. Are there any harmful effects in practicing rhythmic breathing?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
Published on Feb 24, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 14, 2019

I have recently started practicing rhythmic breathing for peace of mind. The practice includes proper cycles of fast and slow breathing. I have heard that such process might lead to hyperventilation and asthma problems. Further while doing the process I feel some tingling and vibration in my fist and forehead. I also feel mild headache at times after the process. However, overall the process gives peace of mind. Should I discontinue the process? Are there any harmful effects of the same?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan

Allergy Specialist Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

First of all, I congratulate you for adapting breathing exercise. It is scientifically proven exercise to control ventilation and calm down the mind. It is also helpful for the people with breathing problems and asthma. In no way it is harmful to the body. It is not at all causing asthma or any other problems.

As you said, because of overventilation, you can experience some tingling, numbness, headache or lightheadedness. But, these effects are temporary and in long run it is very helpful for the control of breathing and meditation. So, I encourage you to continue this and be happy in life by learning the art of living. Till date it is the scientifically proven way of meditation without any side effects.

I am losing control of myself. Should I visit ER?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 26 year old female. My weight is about 310 to 315 lbs. My height is 5'7". I am in need to know if I am crazy or need to go to the ER. I have for some time now been having these sorts of attacks. I could not breathe, feel extremely hot and break in sweats. My chest is tight. My eyes...  Read Full »

Let's Fight Back Stress

Article Overview: Stress is our body's response to any kind of demand or threat. During stress, certain hormones and chemicals get released in the body, which affects all the organs of the body and prepares us to fight back the demand. But, as we know, an excess of anything is bad. In today's competitive world, most of us have some form of chronic stress, which is harmful. So let us discuss how can we deal with it. Read Article

Dr. Vandana Patidar
Psychologist Counsellor

What Is Stress? Stress is our body’s way of responding to any kind of demanding or threatful situation. What Happens in Stress? In stress, certain hormones and chemicals get released in the blood which affects all the organs of our body. The heart beats faster and pumps more blood, the bloo...  Read Article

How does yoga help senior citizens?

Query: Hi doctor, What are the health benefits and trends for yoga for senior citizens? Are there studios that have classes or professionals that cater to this demographic? Why choose yoga over other forms of fitness and stretching?  Read Full »

Ask a Pulmonologist Now