Q. Can Kapalbhati pranayama cause hernia?

Dr. Aastha Midha Likhyani
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 10, 2016 and last reviewed on: Dec 22, 2020

I have been doing Kapalbhati pranayama for past one year. I do it for 30 minutes daily in the morning. I do it with medium force and at the rate of 30 to 50 exhalations per minute. I feel really vitalized after each 30 minutes session of Kapalbhati. I do it at a comfortable pace and I am absolutely comfortable while doing Kapalbhati for 30 minutes. But, I read on the internet that Kapalbhati can cause hernia. Is Kapalbhati related to hernia in any way? I am a bit confused. What should I do? Should I continue or stop doing this exercise? I must say that so far I have experienced immense benefits from doing Kapalbhati daily.

#

• I would like to tell you that a hernia occurs when you have a weak abdominal wall and it is not by doing exercise.
  • Exercise helps to strengthen your abdominal wall muscles and they never weaken it. You can continue your exercise.
  • The causes of a hernia include chronic constipation, chronic smoking and chronic long-term urinary retention.

For further information consult a surgical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/surgical-gastroenterologist

|