Q. Can deviated nasal septum cause breathlessness?

Dr. Amolkumar W. Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

Recently, I have been experiencing breathlessness. It happens mostly when I am idle or lying down. I feel no discomfort while running. But, I feel like I am short of breathe when I sit idle. I am a 23 year old male. I am reasonably fit. I do not smoke, although I drink occasionally and moderately. I was diagnosed with deviated nasal septum a few years ago. Sometimes, I use Otrivin and Nasonex nasal spray when I feel congestion and irritation in my nose.

#

• As per your history, you experience breathlessness while being idle and not during exercise suggests an airway problem.
  • Supportive to this, you also suffer from a deviated nasal septum, which may cause nasal obstruction and that may sometimes cause breathlessness.
  • Patients with allergic rhinitis may have underlying asthma. So, it is also important to rule out asthma. Spirometry test helps to rule out asthma problem.
  • If spirometry suggests any airway disease, then you can take help of local doctor for further information and treatment.
  • For nasal problem, you can continue using the same nasal sprays.

For further doubts consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

|