Q. Can deviated nasal septum cause breathlessness?

Dr. Amolkumar W Diwan
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 04, 2020

Recently, I have been experiencing breathlessness. It happens mostly when I am idle or lying down. I feel no discomfort while running. But, I feel like I am short of breathe when I sit idle. I am a 23 year old male. I am reasonably fit. I do not smoke, although I drink occasionally and moderately. I was diagnosed with deviated nasal septum a few years ago. Sometimes, I use Otrivin and Nasonex nasal spray when I feel congestion and irritation in my nose.

#

• As per your history, you experience breathlessness while being idle and not during exercise suggests an airway problem.
  • Supportive to this, you also suffer from a deviated nasal septum, which may cause nasal obstruction and that may sometimes cause breathlessness.
  • Patients with allergic rhinitis may have underlying asthma. So, it is also important to rule out asthma. Spirometry test helps to rule out asthma problem.
  • If spirometry suggests any airway disease, then you can take help of local doctor for further information and treatment.
  • For nasal problem, you can continue using the same nasal sprays.

For further doubts consult a pulmonologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/pulmonologist

| 

My asthmatic mother's X-ray is negative for TB. What else this could be?

Query: Hello doctor, My mother has asthma as she used to smoke and live near roads. Her X-ray showed that trachea is in the midline, the cardiac shadow is not enlarged, pulmonary vasculatures are not prominent, hemidiaphragm is flattened, costophrenic sulci are blunted, right lower lung infiltrates presen...  Read Full »

Is surgery a must for nasal turbinates problems?

Query: Hello doctor, I have a problem of nasal congestion for almost 15 days now. It started with running nose first and then the nose got blocked. In the past, I have taken antibiotic for eight days. For three days, I had taken Augmentin 375 twice a day and Erythrocin 500 one tablet a day for five days. I...  Read Full »

Can allergic asthma turn into permanent asthma?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 29 years old now. I have allergic asthma for last 6 to 7 years but in very mild form (mild suffocation and coughing for 2 to 3 days, once in three months). It used to get triggered by an old house (old book or newspaper dust) or distemper and paints or orange flavored drinks. But s...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a Pulmonologist Now