Q. Does the x-rays show signs of bronchopneumonia?

Dr. Vivek Chail

A 2.5-year-old young girl got X-ray diagnosis bronchopneumonia, but her blood tests are all fine, nor she has a temperature. Just cough. We would like to see a second opinion on X-ray images.

#

I have viewed the X-ray chest image sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity). There are mildly prominent lung markings in the bilateral lunes and this can suggest hyperactive airways or a mild lung infection. There is no focal lesion or patchy opacity visualized. There is no pleural effusion. Keeping in mind the above findings, there is a possibile mild respiratory infection. There is no obvious pneumonia patch visualized. It is important to keep track of the symptoms and report to your doctors if there is an increase in cough or persistent fever, which I guess is not there right now.

Thank you very much for the answer. Just a follow-up question, would you recommend to use antibiotics in this case? Also wanted to ask your question what could be a reason of high Ketone amount in urine analysis for her - 5 mmol/L?

#

1. Antibiotics use in children is better only when a bacterial infection is confirmed. Common cold or flu is caused by a virus and follows a certain course of illness from 3 to 5 days to over a week, usually the child shows improvement after 3 to 5 days and gets back to normal in a week or 10 days. Antibiotics are given only if there is sudden worsening and fever and no improvement after 3 to 5 days, showing features of a possible bacterial infection.

My personal opinion is to wait and watch and then give antibiotics to small children, however please talk to your doctors as I have not clinically examined the child. 2. Increase in ketones in children who might be ill can be from any dehydration and decreased fluid intake. Please check the fluid intake, about 2 to 4 cups for a 2.5 years child in a day at intervals. Please check for any signs of dehydration and talk to your doctors.

|