I have painless brown spots on the skin that grow. What is the treatment?

Q. I have painless brown spots on the skin that grow. What is the treatment?

Answered by
Dr. Shaunak Patel
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jun 23, 2023

Hello doctor,

I have had these brown spots for the last 20 years. It grew from a small spot to this big in all these years, and it is still spreading slowly. It does not itch, nor does it pain, but when I get out in the sun, I feel a burning sensation all over the area. I once used Skinlite cream, and the spots were visibly lightened, but they reappeared. I want to know what medication I should take and what precautions to take so that it does not spread any more. Is there any way I can get rid of these spots? I have attached the pictures.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I have seen the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The triggers include sunlight or any harsh irritant chemicals. Skinlite has Hydroquinone which is more than sufficient to mask any pigmentation but not cure it completely. From the symptoms, I strongly feel it is lichen planus pigmentosus or ashy dermatosis of Ramirez. Both of them can exhibit similar features. In my opinion, you should get a skin biopsy to confirm the activity status of the problem and also the severity. We can then decide the best treatment based on the reports. I strongly recommend applying sunscreen and covering the area.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Sunprotection and Sunscreens : All you need to know about this!

Use protective sunscreen with Sun Protection factor (SPF) of at least 30, preferably 50 ... Proper Use of Sunscreens and Importance of SPF : Why, When and How Sunscreens should be regularly used for the following reasons:   Read full

I have two brown spots in foreskin with no itch, bleed or size change. What could it be?

.. gone through your queries and attachment. (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You are having viral warts on your preputial skin. You need to contact your local dermatologist. There are several methods of managing viral warts.   Read full

How can I get rid of marks on my chin?

I would recommend you apply Kojiglo Forte cream (Kojic acid with Hydroquinone two percent) on the marks at night along with an application of a broad spectrum sunscreen on the entire face like Fa   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

PCOS and Liver Problems
The hormonal imbalances in polycystic ovary syndrome could cause liver diseases. Read the article to know the relationship between these medical conditions.  Read more»
Inferior Alveolar Nerve Lateralization Technique
The inferior alveolar nerve lateralization technique is a surgical lateralization technique to reposition the nerve. Read the article to know more about this.  Read more»
COVID-19 and Ebola: Similarities and Differences
This article gives a comparison and broader overview of the outbreak of the two deadliest diseases that showed a greater incidence over the last two decades.  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cosmetologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.