Q. Why am I getting recurrent bruising under the nail?

Dr. Bhushan Nagpure
and medically reviewed by Nithila A
Published on Jun 30, 2019 and last reviewed on: Jul 03, 2019

Three years ago, on a trip after walking around all day, my big toe on my left foot began to hurt. When I removed my shoe, I had bruising under the nail. I contributed it to the new balance shoes I was wearing. It got worse and I eventually I lost the nail on that toe. The nail grew back, and it was fine. A couple of months ago, the same toe became inflamed around the bottom of the nail bed. It was sore to the touch. It again went away, and the toe was fine. Last night I woke up with the same toe throbbing. The nail bed was once again inflamed, and this time, there was bruising under the nail. Any idea what may be going on?

Dr. Bhushan Nagpure

#

Judging by your description, it looks like a subungual hematoma. Usually, it is resolved by a procedure known as decompression. It is an OPD procedure performed by a licensed physician. I would suggest you plan your visit to a local physician as soon as possible to avoid the possibility of complications in a hematoma.

bruise.

Subungual hematoma.

Decompression.

Cold compression.

I am having bleeding and pus discharge from toenail. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I have toenail problem. I had bleeding and pus formation. I consulted a doctor and she had prescribed the following treatment. Tablet Novamox CV 625 three times a day for five days. Apply T-bact ointment twice a day. After taking the above treatment, the pus formation stopped. But there ...  Read Full »

What is the treatment for hematoma?

Query: Hi doctor,Before five months, I had surgery for thigh hematoma. Now, the same problem started again. It is increasing in size and painful. Also, there is swelling. Please see the photo attached here.  Read Full »

Nails appear to be unfixed in the skin. Can this issue be treated?

Query: Hello doctor, My friend's daughter is suffering from nails problem in both hands and legs. She is a 14-year-old girl now. The problem started when she was a 2-year-old baby. The nails appear to be unfixed in the skin because they would easily be pulled out when they are stuck in clothes' fabric, fo...  Read Full »

Ask a General Practitioner Now