Q. I have a lump in my left tonsil with difficulty in swallowing. Kindly help.

I noticed a lump under my left tonsil. I wanted to know what it is.

#

I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

That is a part of the tonsillar tissue. The tonsils are not uniform structures, and they have crypts and follicles in them. What you see is just an extension of the tonsil on the left side. Nothing to worry about unless you have any symptoms accompanying it.

Do you have any foreign body sensation or pain? Is there any difficulty in swallowing, throat pain, tonsillitis, or fever?

I have had difficulty swallowing over the past few months with minor aches. I had tonsillitis and mono about 1-2 years ago. However, I notice this is a lump underneath the tonsil only on the left side, and it is going down into my throat. It is like flesh-colored bumps that move when I stick my tongue out.

#

The difficulty in swallowing will not be due to this particular extension of tonsillar tissue deep down. It may be so that only on one side it extends deep down. Can you click some more pictures of the tissue? Also, a few pictures of both sides for a comparison?

Please see the attached right tonsil in the picture. It has some bumps underneath.

#

I have seen such tonsils in my practice (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The left does appear quite different than what we think normal is. However, the surfaces of both tonsils appear healthy and not chronically infected. However, considering you are having difficulty swallowing, I suggest you explore the possibility of getting the tonsils removed and sending them for a biopsy. That way, we shall know for sure if there is anything sinister with the left tonsil. I also suggest that you give each tonsil separately for the biopsy and pathological examination.

|