Q. I recently noticed a small round bubble behind my right tonsil. What is it?

Dr. Mohammed Osama Aboborda
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 27, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

I am 33 years old and in good health. I have recently noticed a small round bubble behind my right tonsil. It has been there for about a month now. I have had quite a bit of nasal drainage, and slight periodic sore throat, some ear pressure that is minor on the same side of the affected tonsil. I have no difficulty in swallowing. The color of the tissue on the bubble behind my throat is natural, and no discoloration. I just want to know what exactly the issue. I took an antibiotic for two weeks, and there is no change.

#

There is anything dangerous from the picture you sent (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity). Mostly it is a superficial infection, according to your complaint. Do you have reflux in the form of a burning sensation in your chest or your stomach? Do you have a bitter taste in your throat when waking up in the morning? Do you smoke or drink alcoholics?

I do not have any reflux at all. I do smoke and drink about once a month. Mainly it has been quite a bit of nasal drainage, along with the other symptoms I have mentioned. I was just concerned since it has been there a month and the same thing for the drainage.

#

I recommend drinking warm fluids, avoiding icy and spicy foods, and use analgesics as Ibuprofen 200 mg tablets once daily until the sore throat gets cured. You can use an antihistamine to stop nasal drainage. No need for an antibiotic now. Antibiotic is necessary in case of green, yellow, or blue thick nasal discharge. Also, in case of pharyngeal inflammation with fever.

So in your professional opinion, is it nothing serious besides an infection?

#

Yes, till now there is nothing dangerous.

|