Q. I have severe neuropathy in my legs after a burn injury. How to lead a normal life?

Dr. Noushif. M

I had burns in 90 % of my body of which 65 % were third-degree when I was 13 months old. My left leg was burned so bad that the hospital wanted to amputate, but my parents refused. I am 36 years old now. My circulation has gotten increasingly worse as I have aged to the point that I have severe neuropathy in my left leg and right foot. Winter is severely painful. My leg and feet will turn extremely purple and freezing cold and it is difficult to get the temperature back to normal and the feeling to return. I have tried pressure hose, warmer clothes, etc. It does not work. I was wondering if there is anything I can do besides warm shower, laying putting my feet up, and a warming blanket. It takes all of this to get my legs to stop hurting and it takes a couple of hours each time. It is directly affected by temperature. In the summer I cannot sweat. So, my legs swell. In the winter they turn purple and I cannot walk. I just hate this. I cannot stand the pain and the way it interferes with my life every day. I take Gabapentin, Celebrex, Vitamin D and Singulair.

#

I went through your detailed history.

• The problems which are worrying you at present are mainly due to nerve irritation which is made worse by changes in the arterial flow during times of stress like weather changes. Neuroregulation or autonomic response to temperature changes is deranged.
  • The altered sweating is due to the destruction of sweat glands. It is permanent. With time, it may improve.
  • You have to continue doing the measures like leg warmers, warm shower, etc. These will help improve the circulation at times of stress. Cold-induced vessel spasm is the culprit here.
  • Add few neuro vitamin tablets to your diet (B2, B6, and B12).
  • The best medicine for neuropathic pain is already on your list, Gabapentin. Use it wisely.
  • You can try few blood flow modulators like low dose Ecosprin (Aspirin), Pentoxifylline, etc. These should be started well before the beginning of the season.

For further queries consult a general surgeon online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|