Q. From the reports, kindly explain about my wife's burning sensation during urination.

Dr. Shahil Khant
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 30, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2021

My wife has been having a burning sensation of urine for more than a year now. Earlier, she took Taxim-O, but after stopping it, the burning sensation came back. When it comes, it stays for 5 hours or so. She feels very uncomfortable and hardly can move. She was advised to take Urotone, Alkalin and drink lots of water, We did an ultrasound, UFR and urine culture. Now, the doctor has suggested taking water only when thirsty. Her reports are attached. Please advise.

#

I have seen reports sent by you (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Though all reports are normal, ultrasound shows cystitis (urinary bladder wall inflammation). This could be a subclinical infection.
  • As no specific cause is found, I suggest you a trial of antibiotics low dose for three weeks. This is only a trial and will not guarantee complete relief as we do not have any particular cause.
  • I suggest tablet Niftran (Nitrofurantoin) 100 mg once daily for 21 days. I think that should improve her symptoms. Consult her specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take medicine with consent.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

The urologist had advised us to see a gynecologist and do a urine diagnosis screening. Kindly tell your views about the limitation of water intake. Thank you.

#

• I do not think she requires water restriction at present. Water up to 2 to 2.5 liters per day is sufficient.

|