Q. I have burning sensation on top left side of head. What is this?

Dr. Nazma Parveen

I am a 30 year old male. Today I have experienced a burning sensation on the top left side of my head. It only lasts for a few seconds but it has happened a few times hours apart. What is this? I have just got over cold symptoms.

Do you have a question on Burning Sensation or Sinusitis?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Nazma Parveen

M.B.B.S
Family Physician General Practitioner

I have read through your question and would like to tell you that the burning sensation at the side of your head could be because of a number of reasons like vitamin deficiency (mostly B12), diabetes, thyroid problems, etc. It can also happen as a result of side effects of a medicine.

You said you have just recovered from a cold. Where you taking any medicines? It is also possible that you may have developed sinusitis. A neurological cause of this can be a pinched nerve called as occipital neuralgia. You need to give a detailed history for a proper assessment of your condition.

I hope that answers your question. If you have any further questions please feel free to write.

For more information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

I have sinusitis and feel like something is stuck in my neck. What can be done?
Query: Hi doctor, I have got chronic sinusitis diagnosed by ENT doctor. I am suffering from difficulties of swelling for months, feel like something is stuck in my neck like sputum or something else that is moving up and down, especially while eating or having flu. Do you think it is related to ENT or I h...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello,Welcome to icliniq.com.In such a patient what we would do is a laryngoscopy. Just to rule out any growth or inflammation. Chronic sinusitis due to contact post nasal drip tends to cause reflux-related symptoms and globus feeling. Secondly, we need to check your hemoglobin status to rule out Pl...  Read Full »

Can burning sensation of throat occur from acid reflux?
Query: Hi doctor, I am a 40 year old male. I just like to share a problem with you related to my throat. For the last 10 days or so, I am feeling a scratch or burning like sensation behind the uvula. I do not have any problem with eating. The sensation tends to remain silent at night during sleep, but agai...  Read Full »
Dr. Alok Rathi

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Burning sensation behind throat is most commonly caused due to acid reflux. It can be also due to chronic smoking. As you smoke and drink, you have much more chance of acid reflux. I suggest you to avoid spicy, oily food for two weeks and tablet Pantop (Pantoprazole) 40 m...  Read Full »

Can vitamin B12 deficiency cause depression and anxiety?
Query: Hello doctor, My best friend has been suffering lately from deficiency of vitamin B12. Our doctor informed us that he suffers from depression and anxiety because of vitamin deficiency. Is it possible? His dad died when he was 10, so I observed that he takes it so seriously when he feels that he is n...  Read Full »
Dr. Sonia Malhotra

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, vitamin B12 deficiency causes severe depression. Also, thoughts like not being able to fulfil duties can induce guilt and worse depression. Please take your friend to a psychiatrist for treatment with a combination of antidepressants and cognitive behavio...  Read Full »

Ask a Doctor Now