iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersInternal Medicinebypass surgeryIs bypass surgery a must for chest pain?

Is it a must to undergo bypass surgery for chest pain?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 4, 2016
Reviewed AtJune 28, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

My father had chest pain three months back, but he took it lightly. In the last two months, the pain has increased. Now I took him to a doctor. After all the tests and angiography he suggested to do bypass surgery. As we are not much aware of these types of diseases in family, we are looking for a second opinion. I request you to kindly look at the report and suggest your opinion.


Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father's reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity) shows 99% block in circumflex branch of left coronary artery, 50 % to 80 % block in left anterior descending artery as well as right coronary artery. Any blockage more than 70% is considered significant and it has mainly three treatment plans; only medical management, medical management with angioplasty, or medical management with bypass surgery. The choice depends upon a number of factors like location of blockage, type of blockage, patient's symptoms, patient's exercise capacity, result of stress testing, wish of patient and family members, other comorbid conditions, etc. Definitely, in the present scenario he requires medical management with bypass surgery.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Srivastava, Sumit
Dr. Srivastava, Sumit

Internal Medicine

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy