Q. I have a red spot around urethra and my foreskin is tight. What can it be?

Dr. Rashmi Singh
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 22, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 28, 2021

I am a 26 year old male. I weigh 80 kg and I am 5 feet 4 inches. I have been suffering from an inflammation while urinating with a red spot around the urethra. I went to my physician. He prescribed me a tablet Ofloxacin and syrup Oricitral for 5 days. After that the inflammation got reduced but the red spot remain as it is. Once again went to my physician, then he prescribed with a different tablet Ebastine and told me to continue with the syrup. Now, it has been five days but there is no improvement. In fact inflammation has started again. Around the head of penis and urethra there is some itchiness too. Also from today, the foreskin has become tight and the head of my penis is a bit swollen. Please suggest me what to do? Are these the signs of balanitis?

#

I read your query and went through your photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• It definitely looks like you have balanoposthitis with phimosis.
  • Did you have sexual contact with anyone other than your regular partner? Does your partner have any discharge or lesions? Do you have any previous history of similar episode?
  • I would recommend you to apply Onabet (Sertaconazole) ointment over it at night and take tablet Metronidazole during day time. I also suggest you to take tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once weekly for 3 weeks.
  • Continue with tablet Ofloxacin. I would also suggest you tablet Cetirizine one daily at night to decrease hypersensitivity. Keep the area dry and hygienic.

Follow up after three weeks to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have never had this thing before. This is the first time. I never had sexual contact with anyone else apart from my regular partner. I am not very sure about any discharge or lesions. We last had an oral sex mid of last month.  And she is also suffering from a fungal infection. She experienced a lot of itching in vaginal area. She is also on medicines. Please suggest if I need to continue with the medicines listed above? Thank you.

#

• Please continue with the medicines which I have suggested.

For further queries consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have started taking the medicines. I just wanted to confirm should I apply the ointment all over the glans and even on the foreskin? And after applying the ointment, should I keep as it is for the whole night? Or should I wipe it away after sometime? If yes, how long should I apply daily?

#

• Apply it on the glans, as well as foreskin and keep it overnight. Also treat your sexual partner with Fluconazole.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am taking medication and applying ointment from last Monday. There is a lot of improvement, and as of now, there is no inflammation or pain. The redness on the tip of the penis has reduced to a great extent. But, there are a few small scars still left on the glans. After applying the ointment, should I keep the foreskin retracted or should I pull it back? If this is the discharge or lesion of the female partner, then I think the release is quite common in the female. Can it happen again? What kind of preventive measure to be taken in future? Should I go for any of the STD tests?

#

Glad to know that there is a lot of improvement. You can stop the tablet, but keep applying Onabet. Is the foreskin swelling reduced?

Just to be on the safe side, ask your partner to take one tablet Fluconazole per week for three weeks. Otherwise, you do not need to keep more precaution except looking out for recurrence.

For further doubts consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I am applying the ointment on a daily basis. Now the scars have also reduced. But, I have observed that the foreskin at the tip of the penis has not retained its original position. Even, some of the skin was peeling today. Is it natural? Please have a look at the pictures and let me know if it is fine.

#

If the foreskin is not able to retain the original position still, then it would be wise to meet a venereologist in person to rule out the possibility of any long-term problem like phimosis. The peeling skin (attachment removed to protect patient identity) is most likely due to the previous infection, and I would suggest you to continue applying ointment for one more week.

|