iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersDermatologycandidial balanitisI have a yeast infection on my penis. Please help.

The skin on the shaft of my penis is shiny-looking with no other signs. What should I do?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

Dr. K. Shobana

Published At October 11, 2022
Reviewed AtOctober 17, 2023

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 41-year-old male. I wanted to know about a possible yeast infection on the shaft of my penis? The skin on the shaft is shiny-looking. I have no itching, pain, discomfort while peeing, or other signs. I noticed it two weeks ago.


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern. As per the history provided, it may be candida balanitis. It is a fungal infection of the glans penis and shaft of the penis. It appears reddish or pale white with scales and may also show signs of disease in the form of white discharge and a foul smell with occasional itch and pain. They may develop due to changes in immunity, hygiene issues, changes in hormonal balance, frequent sexual activities, climate changes, and excess usage of harsh chemicals disrupting the mucosal barrier helping to fight infections. I suggest the following Clotrimazole cream is to be applied on the affected area twice daily for six weeks or till the symptoms reduce. Lukewarm saline to wash the affected area and private parts twice daily. After cleaning and drying the site, the above cream may be applied. Capsule Becosule Z (combination of Vitamin C, zinc, and vitamin B complex) to be used once daily after food for four weeks at night. Capsule Itraconazole 200 mg once daily in the morning after food for two weeks. Avoid using harsh chemicals and soaps or shampoos to clean the area as they were maybe harmful and may disrupt the mucosal protective barrier leading to infections. Ensure following a balanced and timely diet with proper water consumption. Kindly inspect your sexual partner, if any, and ensure they undergo treatment to avoid recurrences. If there is secretion, I would advise you to undergo a swab test where the secretion on the affected area is taken for laboratory testing to know the organism which has led to the infection and the medication the organism is most sensitive to. This may be done in a laboratory or after an in-person consultation with a doctor. In case of the development of new symptoms and discomfort, please consult a doctor in person to rule out other infections which may also affect private areas. In severe cases, consultation with a surgeon may be done. Avoid sweating and stagnation of moisture in your private parts. Make sure to wear loose clothing and underwear to avoid excess heating, and ensure to air your private area from time to time to avoid stagnation of moisture. I would also like to request you provide an image, if possible, in the image option in query session for further assessment of the affected area and to provide more information and further management if needed.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty
Dr. Sandhya Narayanan Kutty


Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online


*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy