Q. Will a pinched nerve in the neck affect the wrist?

Dr. Atul Prakash
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 08, 2021 and last reviewed on: Apr 01, 2021

I have been diagnosed with a pinched nerve in the neck. Now, it affects my left arm. I am doing physiotherapy exercises and got some recovery. But recently, I have numbness in my hands while sleeping on one or both hands. It resolves immediately when I wake up. Is this symptom related? Do I need to do further evaluation?

#

There is a phenomenon of double crush syndrome where two smaller compressions add to the significant issues and symptoms. You may have a compression of the median nerve at the wrist called carpal tunnel syndrome while compression on the roots of the neck can also lead to cause these symptoms at the wrist. So, the neck and wrist symptoms are related. You need to wear a wrist splint, do neck strengthening exercises, avoid having poor posture and avoid working on the laptop. Instead, you can work on the desktop. You can do nerve conduction studies as it helps to confirm the diagnosis.

I was worrying about MS. But my doctor reassured me that these symptoms do not suggest MS. But now I have numbness while sleeping. I am concerned now. I think that my CrossFit or weight training has crushed my neck and pinched the nerve again. It seems to be the culprit of all my symptoms and I had bad posture with my phone and laptop over these years. Is this a sign of MS? Do I need to do further investigations?

#

If you are worried, then you can consult a neurologist to clarify your doubts. I have not gone through your MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) report and nerve conduction studies. It helps you to confirm the diagnosis and I can say that you have a nerve compression issue after going through the reports.

I am planning to do MRI soon to get a diagnosis. I will submit it soon.

#

I recommend you take Pregabalin 75 mg twice a day and Duloxetine 30 mg. Have a follow-up with your reports.

|