Q. My friend has painful swollen leg. What first aid could be given?

Dr. Sugreev Singh

My friend has a swollen and painful leg. Looking at the picture of her leg, I think she has cellulitis. She is having a hard time seeing a doctor because there was no available doctor in the nearby hospital last night. It already has blisters. What should be done as first aid now, while the doctor is not available to see her?

Kindly help.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern.

Sir, this is bullosa that subsides on its own, but there are chances of spreading when it breaks. Hence antibiotic ointment is required.

I would suggest you apply Silver Sulfadiazine ointment twice daily and keep the infection site clean. Before using the ointment, wash the area in running tap water and then apply ointment.

Kindly answer me the following;

1) Is she taking any medications currently?

2) Since when she has this?

3) Is there any similar blisters on the skin?

Thanks for the reply from my side. I cannot reach my friend to ask about her medications. But she is taking antipsychotic medication for schizophrenia.

The pain and swelling on her leg started ten days back, and the blisters appeared yesterday afternoon. She is taking proper care of her blisters. I will ask her to buy the ointment too. Does she need to take any antibiotics? Do you issue prescriptions?

Thanks.

#

Sir, if there are no other blisters on any other part of her body, then oral antibiotics are not required. For prescription, you can consult your local physician, and get the ointment.

|