Q. My son has a sharp pain in the temple area if he moves his neck. Please advise.

Dr. Brungi Mahesh

This question is regarding my 10 year old son. He takes professional coaching for badminton and plays for almost four hours daily since the last four months. Ever since he started playing badminton, he complains of occasional neck pain, shoulder pain, and back pain. His coach said that it might be due to his posture. He has a habit of slouching forward when he walks. Four days back, he complained of ankle pain, and I made him put his ankle in ice water for 30 minutes daily for the last four days. Though he said it did not improve things, he just enjoyed playing in the water. Today morning, when he got up and moved his neck slightly, he experienced sharp pain in the head (temple area) even if he moved his neck slightly. And suddenly the pain area started changing to shoulder, knee, thigh, thumb, back to neck, eyes, head, etc. The pain at each place stayed for one or two seconds. The next location of this shifting pain is totally unexpected. Can you please advise me on these two points? The first is regarding a neck, shoulder and back pain since four months of playing badminton. And, the second is regarding the shifting nature of pains that started just today. Is it due to the ice bath, or other reasons, and what to do about it?

#

• According to the history, the pain is mainly because of postural problems and lack of physical training.
  • The shifting nature of pain is not due to the ice bath. It might be psychological.
  • My advice is to consult a sports physiotherapist and change his postures (posture training).
  • For the ankle sprain, if the pain does not reduce with analgesics and other conservative measures, I suggest you consult a sports surgeon (arthroscopic surgeon).

For further queries consult an orthopedician and traumatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Another thing I forgot to add about my 10 year old son is that he has a habit of making cracking sounds in his neck. Even though the sound is not audible, I can still feel it cracking when I put my hand on his neck. Is it due to some pressure built up in the neck, or is it a habit, according to you? Can it have something to do with today morning's extreme pain in the head when he turned his neck? He started crying even if he just turned his neck.

#

• I think the clicking is due to habituation. Try to avoid that. It is not good for health.
  • The sharp pain may be due to a cervical problem too. Get an X-ray of the cervical spine in the anteroposterior and lateral views done. Review with X-ray.

For more information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|