Q. What is the chance of long standing cervical polyp turning to cervical cancer?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

I was diagnosed with a cervical polyp and my gynecologist had said it was caused by HPV. I have been getting sharp cutting pains in my vaginal area for the longest time hence we decided to go for a hysteroscopy and then we found out that I had the cervical polyps.

So now for the past few months, I have been bleeding between my periods, bleeding after having intercourse and my discharge also has a foul smell. It also sometimes has a bit of blood mixed with it and I am starting to think this polyp might have developed into cervical cancer. I am not sure what to do as these symptoms are not normal at all.

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

Based on the symptoms you mentioned, it definitely implies that you need to go check with your gynecologist for an examination to see and rule out any cancerous changes or for any presence of polyps. Without examining it is difficult to say. The color and odor of the discharge indicate the presence of infection in that pathology. Why am I suspecting cancerous or precancerous changes is because you have been tested for HPV two years back which was positive. HPV (human papillomavirus) is the causative virus or the infective agent that develops changes in the cervix which over many years (mostly 5-10 years but not strictly) turn into cervical cancer.

It would have been very helpful if you had provided the biopsy reports and discharge summary details of the hysteroscopy done and any pap or colposcopy reports if you have done in the past for a better understanding so that I could guide you better.

I am prescribing you the medication to take care of the infection but you need to visit your gynecologist for evaluation at the earliest for early intervention.

MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) abdomen and pelvis if required. Ultrasound whole abdomen and pelvis. Cervical examination followed by pap smear and colposcopy or biopsy according to the findings. Blood investigations. Chest x-ray.

? Chronic cervicitis, ? Pre invasive lesion of cervix, ? Ca cervix.

Tablet Ofloxacin plus Ornidazole twice daily for five days after food.

Please follow up with your gynecologist for checkup and necessary evaluation and management.

|