Q. How to heal the muscle pain over the chest?

Dr. Sumit Chawla
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 17, 2020

A few months ago, I had pain in my left chest. I was referred to a cardiologist just in case it was the heart problem. All the tests, including CT, treadmill, echo, 24-hours Holter returned negative. I was informed that it was likely being sports injury, possibly tennis and nothing to worry about. This pain has been a kind of on and off and I wonder if there is any way to help my muscle to heal. Should I have this further investigated by a specialist?

#

I have gone through your history.

• It seems that the pain has currently settled down. It is good to hear that you have already ruled out the cardiac causes of left shoulder or arm pain and all the test results are good.
  • There is no need for further investigation by a specialist. To augment the healing process, ultrasound therapy over the affected region can be applied.
  • The sound waves that pass through the skin cause a vibration of the local tissues. This vibration or cavitation can cause a deep heating locally though usually no sensation of heat will be felt by the patient. It will increase local blood supply by heating and lead to tissue relaxation, ultimately help in muscle healing.
  • There is no medication to help other than nutritional supplement only if you are facing any deficiency.

For further doubts consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

Would stretching help or hinder the healing process? I have been trying to stretch my chest while practicing yoga, but the muscle does not seem to be fully recovered. The pain would come back easily when I work a little bit harder.

#

• Yes, gradual stretching exercises will help.
  • You have not mentioned how this injury happened in the first place and the treatment you have received so far.
  • If it was while playing tennis, whether you were accustomed to it or not? Which movement currently aggravates pain? What is the intensity of pain on a scale of 1-10 as compared from the initial stages?

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

On a scale of 10, the pain is about 3 or 4. So, it does not bother me much. It bothers me a bit when it accompanies with palpitation, but the cardiologist said I am fine. I was not sure how it started. It could have been due to exercise or heavy lifting. Sometimes, it feels better, but it would come back easily when I play a bit harder with tennis or yoga. Is it possible from a kind of scar, which does not have much flexibility?

#

• As mentioned in my previous answer ultrasound therapy will help to alleviate focal pain. Even if the pain is due to chronic scar tissue it will help.
  • As it changes the nature of scar tissue, the adjoining muscles are stretched and regain their strength. This decreases pain.
  • Continue with ultrasound, yoga and stretching exercises and the pain will gradually subside.
  • Apart from stretching exercises, isometric exercises for chest and pectoral muscles and later on exercises with weight lifting at different inclinations will be required to attain strength.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

I have a doubt regarding ultrasound, I have a home unit (US pro 2000), which generates ultrasound of 1.0 MHz of up to 6.4 W. I have been using it for hands and legs. Is it safe to use in the chest area? The instruction manual only says do not use over bones, but does not mention over the heart area. Please guide.

#

• Yes, ultrasound is safe over the chest area as well. If there is metallic implant or valve replacement done, then ultrasound over the chest region is contraindicated.
  • You can use this ultrasound sound machine for painful musculoskeletal chest condition as well since there is no history of cardiac surgery or disease in your case.

|