Q. Suffering from pain near the shoulder joint. What to do?

Dr. Amit Vijaykishor Verma
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 02, 2021

A few months ago, I pulled some heavy object very hard using my right hand. Now, I am facing sharp pain for a very short period, maybe once per day near the shoulder joint. Also, I am having difficulty in moving that arm. I have my exams coming up. I want to know what can be done now.

#

Thanks for the query. I need to know a few things before answering your question.

• Has your pain started after that incident of pulling the heavy object or has been some time difference between it? What activity provocates your pain?
  • If it is coming once per day on heavy lifting, then it can be a sign of biceps tendon tear. Till your exams try avoiding the motion in which you have pain.
  • Do some hot fomentation and shoulder ROM (range of motion) exercises from your nearby physiotherapist. If it does not improve, then you might need an MRI scan.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

It started after a few weeks. And, it might have worsened since I was flying kites recently for a few days. Can this tendon tear be dangerous? The pain just happens suddenly.

#

• Do not worry about the tendon tear for now. It is more like an ankle sprain, which is on the shoulder.
  • Just give complete rest. Stop the motion, which is giving you pain and prevent heavy weight lifting from that arm.
  • Visit nearby physiotherapist for diathermy and ROM exercises of the shoulder.

|