Q. I have a burning chest pain which improves when I stand. Is it costochondritis?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

I am a 40 year old female. I have a BMI of 17. I am a recovering eating disorder patient and also suffer from GERD, GAD, and low BP (105/60). I saw a cardio two years ago and cleared. I developed a burning, sharp chest pain (more intense than normal GERD pain), in the upper-left sternum just below the manubrium which sent me to the ER. X-ray, bloods, and ECG are normal. I was given an Omeprazole and an antiinflamatory. But, I am still having constant pain, which varies in intensity and improves when I stand. I did lift a heavy rock a few days prior and can feel a slight crunching when I move, but I am really anxious about ischemic heart disease or something more dubious, even though I have no accompanying symptoms besides this pain. Does this sound like costochondritis, or should I be more concerned?

#

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms are not typical of any cardiac disorders. They could be suggestive of costochondritis or gastro-esophageal reflux.

Is the pain triggered by deep breathing or pressure in this chest area? This would be another argument in favor of costochondritis. In such case, it is necessary to perform inflammation tests (PCR, ESR, complete blood count). If the pain is triggered by heavy meals or bending over, it would be indicative of a gastro-esophageal reflux. In such case, it would be necessary to perform a fibrogastroscopy.

I would also exclude any possible heart issues, considering your clinical symptomatology for which I would recommend performing an exercise cardiac stress test just to reassure you that your symptoms are not related to your heart. So, just relax and do not worry about it.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Is my chest pain due to anxiety, angina or any other cause?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. No prior heart issues. A fan of exercise. At the beginning of this year, I started having chest pain located near or right over my right side. Mostly they are a short quick burst of pain at random intervals but sometimes they stick around. A couple of weeks after th...  Read Full »

How often do I need a treadmill test?

Query: Hello doctor, I run about five kilometers every alternate day. I recently felt a chest heaviness and a pinching pain. So, I went in for a TMT test. I want to know the frequency at which such tests are to be done. I am attaching the results of my tests.  Read Full »

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»