Costochondritis

What could be the reason for severe pain in the left middle rib?

Query: Hello doctor, I have been having severe left middle rib pain for about a month and now it is always hurting. I had an upper endoscopy, colonoscopy, left kidney CT scan, gallbladder ultrasound, blood work, and HIDA scan and found nothing, but I have a torturous colon. The pain gets pretty bad and I ...  Read Full »

Dr. Rahul Goel

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. From your history, it seems to be an inflammation of one or more of the cartilages that connect the ribs to the breastbone. It is a condition called Tietze syndrome (when there is a swelling over the painful area) or costochondritis (no swelling, only pain). This con...  Read Full »

What could be the pain in upper chest which does not hurt on deep breath?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a pain in my upper part of the chest for the last three weeks. It does not hurt when I take deep breaths but it is constant pain. This pain sometimes will move from the upper part of my chest to the bottom part of my chest. Can you help me and put my mind at ease.  Read Full »

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy

Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are a lot of causes of chest pain. Chronic pain is indicative of a more muscular pain etiology also known as Costochondritis. Pain around the left side of the chest, associated with gastric symptoms such as reflux, and acidity indicate GERD (gastric esophagal r...  Read Full »

What is tablet Myospaz used for?

Query: Hello doctor, Three weeks ago I was involved in a domestic fight and suffered a hit on the area below my right breast. I had a chest x-ray done and it revealed no rib injury. Currently, I am taking Myospaz tablets. Even after taking the medicines for three weeks, I am still experiencing so much pain...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I would suggest a follow up x-ray in different views to look for rib fracture. This can very well be costochondritis (inflammation of the cartilage) due to trauma. Try using Ibuprofen 600 mg twice daily as needed for pain along with Myospaz (Chlorzoxazone). Revert back wi...  Read Full »

What causes pain under left rib cage when bending over?

Query: Hello doctor, Every time I am sitting down and taking a deep breath, the left side of my rib cage hurts. Even when I bend over to take a deep breath, it stills hurts and it only happens when I am sitting down, bending over or I am laying on the left side. What could this be? It also feels a little ...  Read Full »

Dr. Ashish Jayanand Chandwadkar

General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  According to your complaints, I think you might have a sore cartilage between the ribs also known as costochondritis unless and until ruled out. If you recently did some heavy workout, lifted something heavy or had a hit on the left part, then the chances of having a...  Read Full »

I am getting pain in the middle of my chest on sudden movement. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am getting pain in the middle of my chest when I put pressure on it such as while sleeping when I suddenly wake up or turn around. Why?  Read Full »

Dr. C Elanchezhian

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Costochondritis is the most common cause of sternum pain. It occurs when the cartilage between the sternum and ribs becomes inflamed and irritated. Try the following methods. 1. Ice pack to your chest. 2. You can take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, like Ibuprof...  Read Full »

I have life-sided chest pain. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 32 year old male having a normal health condition. My height is 5 feet 6 inches, and weight is 58 Kg. Recently (yesterday), I noticed chest pain in the left side which feels like pinpointed pain (electric shock kind) and lasted for a few seconds. Please let me know what I need ...  Read Full »

Criticalcare Physician, Diabetologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Gastroenterologist, Nephrologist, Pulmonologist, Rheumatologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.  Read Full »

I have pain and burning sensation in my left breast. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am having a lot of pain and burning in my chest. I had an ECG done about 20 days back which was normal. I have pain on the left side, (it is like on my breast) sometimes I feel it moves. I have been suffering from this since more than a year. Last year, I went through a complete eva...  Read Full »

Cardiologist, General Medicine Physician, Internal Medicine Physician, Family Physician, General Practitioner

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. There are two possibilities in you, first is costochondritis (musculoskeletal) and the second possibility is of gastric reflux followed by fibroadenosis. Such a long duration of the pain and pain which increases on movements or pressing over the same site is usually ...  Read Full »

Why am I having pain in my breastbone radiating to breast and ribs?

Query: Hello doctor, I have achy breastbone and ache towards the bottom of breastbone that goes across under my breasts and into my ribs on the right side. The ache comes and goes and seems to move around. It gets better with rest and laying certain ways. Taking no medicines. I am 29 years, 5'5", 160 poun...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Does this pain increase on applying pressure over the area, if yes it could be costochondritis and it is a musculoskeletal type of pain and needs prolonged NSAID therapy? You will need to check vitamin D level and need to be on NSAID therapy. Overload and overuse, as...  Read Full »

What is the difference between heart attack and costochondritis chest pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 21 years old, and I visited my GP today, who thinks that I may have chondritis. I just have a question regarding the difference between this and heart attacks. The pain has been varying from the right side of my left pectoral to the left side of my left pectoral muscle. Being fairl...  Read Full »

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Firstly, to begin with, the probability of heart attack is very less at this age. Costochondritis pain will increases on applying pressure over the area, if yes, it could be costochondritis. This is the most important sign of costochondritis. Heart attack pain...  Read Full »

Do you think that a skin test is enough to diagnose scleroderma?

Query: Hi doctor, I traveled to a different country to get more in depth testing of multiple health problems. I was diagnosed with the start of scleroderma, because of my gastrointestinal symptoms, idiopathic angioedema, thickened skin, weird blood vessels (tiny red tree-like veins), family history of scle...  Read Full »

Dr. Bharat Patodiya

Family Physician, General Medicine Physician, General Practitioner, Internal Medicine Physician, Medical Oncologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Yes, in my opinion your case could be suggestive of scleroderma (autoimmune disorder - hardening of skin). However, I want to know the pattern of sclerosis. For scleroderma, it should start from hand and reach main trunk. Also, revert back with details of GI symptoms. F...  Read Full »