Q. I have pain in chest radiating to face, arm and neck. How to solve this?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

I had pain in my left chest area may be twenty times in last years. Ongoing to hospitals and doctors ruled out heart problem called costochondritis. What are the very best recommended ways to solve this problem? The last episode lasted some three days ago. Episodes last for hours. I need relief from the upper left chest pain sometimes radiating to face, arm and neck areas.

#

Costochondritis originates from the front of chest area where ribs join the breastbone named sternum. It mimics a heart pain. Here, the physician can help in few ways to have a complete recovery. Proper rest and avoiding activities that aggravate the pain are helpful. This pain can last for varying degrees of time and usually relieves on its own. The main focus remains on pain and inflammation relief.

Different medications are used for this condition like Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen. If there is no relief from pain, your physician may prescribe you medications containing more potent painkillers like a combination of Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen. It is very helpful for many patients having this pain. Sometimes, your physician may add some more specific medications (like Amitriptyline, Gabapentin) if he feels better.

You may talk to your local physician about them. Stretching exercises and other techniques like TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation) prove to be helpful for a large number of patients and it can be done for you to get relief from pain.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

I have chest soreness and radiating pain.Is this due to pleurisy or costochondritis?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 36 year old, otherwise healthy (as far as I know) female. I was a smoker earlier. No history of heart disease. My mother has COPD, but has been a long time smoker.  Two and a half weeks ago, I went on a hayride with my sons. I have a short stature. To get on and off the hayrid...  Read Full »

Is Amitriptyline better for tension-type headaches?

Query: Hi doctor, I had a mild balance problem while walking, a month and a half back. I did not have vomiting or nausea. I was put on Betahistine and B-Citam for 30 days, which cured 99 % of my balance problem. But, I felt dizzy the whole day. I also have a mild difficulty in swallowing, so I consulted a ...  Read Full »

Chest pain since 15 days. ECG & TMT reports are normal. What could be the problem?

Query: Hello Doctor, I am having chest pain since 15 days. My ECG & TMT reports are negative. But still I am suffering with the pain. Please suggest me the appropriate treatment.  Read Full »

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»